Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone have instructions on how I can make my own 6 inch lift kit for my 83 wagon?

BusterH

The fabrication will be easy enough, but finding a 12x125 thread bolt long enough will be about impossible.

i used square channel steel with bolts to the body from the inside on the top, and bolts with nuts on the bottom to the suspension. It is most ideal to have a long enough thru-bolt for rigidity.

I built mine using leftover trailing arm bolts and lug nuts....

I took it out after the rear collapsed!

None of my blocks are through-bolted and I prefer it that way. The through-bolt technique puts more stress on the capture nuts when the lift/block flexes off-road. I have never ripped out a capture nut using the stock bolts and bolts/nuts at the bottom of the blocks.

If you wanted to through-bolt it just use all-thread. But you would need to sleeve the blocks so the area around the hole was reinforced.

6" is getting high enough that you will need bracing anyway. You will want to tie the blocks together to form a "sub-frame" to which the suspension parts bolt on.

You should do some searching here on the board - there's lots of info on building lifts. For a 6" lift you are going to need at least a welder, ability to cut metal (band saw is idea), and the usual drills and grinders, etc that come with metal fabrication. There are smaller lifts (2", etc) that folks have done without access to a decent shop but much higher and you start getting into dangerous territory without a proper design and decent fabrication shop to work it from.

GD

In my honest opinion if you cant read here, look at the pictures, look at your car, and figure out how/what to make, then you have no business risking other peoples lives by building an improperly set up lift and driving it around.

With that said, an ea81 requires 14 points on the chassis/suspension to be spaced apart, and linkages lengthened.

Isaac

What exact measurements? Don't you want 6" blocks?

Take some measurements - got a tape measure?

This aint rocket science and people who build lifts aren't going to just throw their intellectual property at you. Search the forum - that's what the search function is for. Then go take some measurements. You aren't going to be able to just build the full kit without taking the car apart and building it as you go - just doesn't happen unless you have built some already and have the jigs for it.

Get out in the garage kid - put in some time on it. Put the car on jack stands and LOOK at how it's put together.

GD

I can do it just fine *********************, I'm just getting as much info as i can to make sure I do everything as close to perfect as possible, I'm not sure if you're smart enough to know this but pictures don't show exact measurements

Just a word of advice, getting mad and calling someone else's intellect into question pretty much insures you won't get a lot of help.

Everything you've asked for is in the posts that I linked for you in your other thread. It's a lot easier for you to go read it, than for someone to retype it.

No offense, just simple logic.

Dan