Ultimate Subaru Message Board

88Gl wagon wanting to go to 4 headlight

I picked a set-up from P-A-P and was looking for some wiring diagram help.

I grabbed the light buckets assys/marker lights/grill/lower trim plate/ light plugs. On my GL 2 light set up, there is some metal trim alone the lower edge of the lights. On the DL 4 light set up they had the lower trim panel. Didn't know if you had to cut out the metal trim to allow fit or not. The GL wagon is a D/D so down time is big deal. Trying to get everything figureed out so I can do the swap in a few hours. Can you just tie all the duel lights into the single light wiring or is there some other relay needed? Thanks for the advice.

... On my GL 2 light set up, there is some metal trim alone the lower edge of the lights. ... ...Didn't know if you had to cut out the metal trim to allow fit or not. ...

On The GL's Two HeadLamp Setup, the Metal Trim that Holds the Glass comes Out as one Piece with the Glass; it only have Four Nuts Behind them, You just need to Unplug the Bulb and Remove the Four Nuts, so the Whole HeadLamp Assy will come Out, lettin' you to see Easily how to Attach the other Setup.

Kind Regards.

The Stock two HeadLamps Setup comes Wired as Follows:

Each Headlamp has a 9004 Bulb, its plug has Three Wires; the Middle -Center- Wire is the "Always On" Positive (+) Wire which gives the 12V Power. The Remaining two wires (Left & Right at the Plug) are both Negatives ( - ) or Grounds, one for the Low Beam and the other one for the High Beam.

So, when you do the Four HeadLamps Setup Swap, you just Need to Wire Both headLamps' Positives from the Same side, to the Positive (Middle or Center) Wire on the Car's 9004 Plug; is better Idea to Remove the old 9004 Plug and Directly weld the New Wires to the Twin HeadLamp's Plugs.

Then to wire the Low / High Beam Setup, you Simply need to weld the Low Beam's Negative to the Corner's Side Lamp's Low Beam input at its Plug, and wire the High Beam Negative to the Corner's side Lamp's High Beam imput at its Plug.

Then for Both Grille Side Lamps, just share the Negative Wire for the High Beam from the Corner's Side Headlamp.

I Hope this Can Help.

Kind Regards.