Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Arrgh Headgaskets done, won't start

Allright, So i just finished up changing out headgaskets on my 97 Outback wagon 2.5d engine. While I was at it, I changed out the spark plugs, wires (oem) intake, exhaust gaskets, cam seals, front crank seal, rear main seal, and temp sensor, timing belt.

Now the engine won't start. The engine ran before the repair, typical 2.5d headgasket problem. The car was never ran hot to the danger level. This is my second headgasket job on a 2.5d, 4th timing belt job on 2.5d. I am 99.8% sure I got everything lined up right when I put the belt on. Anyone have suggestions on anything to check before I pull the radiator back out and pull the timing covers off again. I know I have spark. car cranks but does not seem like it is firing, or 180 deg. out. Is it possible to get these engines 180 out?

If it matters, the car has 230K miles on it. I have had it since it had 34K. First headgasket job done on this engine. The other one I did was another of my cars.

a recent thread with a similar problem was solved by correcting the the fuel lines from the filter to the engine, did you swap them onto the wrong lines?

usually using the wrong timing marks are my first guess but since this is your 4th belt, on a subaru?, it is probably not that. it would not hurt to look at the cam marks, 3 screws for each cam cover, just to make sure it didn't jump at install.

bad cam or crank sensor, or disconnected sensor? (i can never remember which triggers which, spark or fuel. crank is spark and cam is fuel?)

Thanks, I'll go back and check my sensor connections. Fuel lines are correct (verified by checking against my Lsi 2.5D- that actually runs).

Yes, this is my 4th 2.5D subaru timing belt job. I suppose it could have jumped a tooth at some point after assembly. I did not replace the tensioner. I have never replaced it on any of the other jobs.