Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I want to replace my '88 gl wagon with a newer (2000 on up) AWD OB. Looking at options regarding the 2.5l engine, as a lot of the rides (2000, 2001 OB's) I see on Craigslist are 100K + miles, and there are the headgasket issues that affect these cars, plus the unknown to deal with when buying high miler used cars. I want to find a manual tranny to boot.

Options I'm considering: working with the local subie mechanic and rebuilding the engine after I buy the car, assuming the motor isn't completely hashed, as discovered as it gets taken apart...or....looking for a remanufactured/rebuilt block somewhere? I got my eye on a fairly low priced model b/c of an engine knock problem. Other options? Engine swap sources in the Columbia Gorge/Portalnd OR area?

Appreciate any input or ideas. Looking for best bang for the buck.

Talk to GD, he is a well known board member, he has a real nice 96 GT that you may be interested in, the EJ25 in it was toast so he swapped in a nice fairly low mileage 2.2 in it which is of course a much better option, however its an AT not a 5spd, but to be honest I'd rather have the AT , my tranny is a 5spd and if I'm correct one of the bearings is going south for the winter:lol: The AT also from what I've heard is much better in the snow, he is asking about $3,600 for it, everything has been meticulously gone through, wheel bearings,tranny flushes, body work, spit shine clean, new timing belt and components ETC, basically you can rely on it for a llloooonnnggg time.

you don't need to plan on rebuilding or replacing the motor.

make sure it's not leaking when you buy it, change the coolant, add the subaru coolant conditioner and drive it. it'll be fine. if they start to leak you have GOBS of time, they don't leave you stranded like the older styles if you stick with 00+ EJ25's. they just gradually seap coolant, it's rather benign really and you can drive them for a really long time like that, just add coolant when it's low.

many have already been replaced too. so you can try to find one that's already been replaced.