Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98 forester stupid stupid stupid son of a b@%$#

I pulled a stupid. The radiator in the wife's foz sploded a while back, well I ordered one off of ebay. ALL aluminum boss looking one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Aluminum-Radiator-Subaru-Forester-99-02-Non-Turbo-00-01-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem56418b26fdQQitemZ370466825981QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

found here, The quality is good, and I knew they made the body style from 98-02, and the radiator said 99-02 so i ASSUMED :eek: that it would work. Well, you know what they say about rump roast u me ing things. Well my shiny new radiator does not have a cap, apparently in 99 they went to cap above intake set up. Is there a way to add the top engine mounted radiator cap to my existing ej25d? I really don't want to order another radiator... I will sell this one for $150 shipped, my loss is your gain!

Unfortunately, they offered you just what you got. By your own admission. The ad specifically states, in three different places, 99-02 Forester non-turbo. You should be able to get the remote fill from any 99 or later Forester. Check your local yards or contact the seller and see of they happen to carry the 98 version and maybe they would be willing to swap it.

Don't think i am slandering the seller the pics are not who i bought it from, it was a one or two radiator seller... looking back, the pics had a filler neck in them. I just need a solution. :mad:

i ordered a radiatior

like this, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-02-Subaru-Forester-Aluminum-Radiator-Non-Turbo-00-01-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5641238a8aQQitemZ370460035722QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

i recieved this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-05-Subaru-Forester-aluminum-radiator-Turbo-04-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem56412c45fcQQitemZ370460607996QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

they sent me a later one because the bottom pegs won't go into the core support.

Edited by Ricearu

bingo.

they sent the wrong one.

did you contact them to ask what they would do to get you the right one

Don't think i am slandering the seller the pics are not who i bought it from, it was a one or two radiator seller... looking back, the pics had a filler neck in them. I just need a solution. :mad:

i ordered a radiatior

like this, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-02-Subaru-Forester-Aluminum-Radiator-Non-Turbo-00-01-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5641238a8aQQitemZ370460035722QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

i recieved this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-05-Subaru-Forester-aluminum-radiator-Turbo-04-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem56412c45fcQQitemZ370460607996QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

they sent me a later one because the bottom pegs won't go into the core support.

bingo.

they sent the wrong one.

did you contact them to ask what they would do to get you the right one

BINGO? go hang out with the old people... :lol:

if that is the case then definitely contact them about it. If you ordered the 99-02 radiator you should still check to verify that it will fit your 98.

What you all are missing here is that 98-02 forester takes the same radiator.

I have had a 98 and a 99 forester sitting here side by side a few weeks ago and can verify this.

Both 98 and 99 have a cap on the radiator.

Only the turbo cars have the cap on the engine mounted reservoir.

I have had a 98 and a 99 forester sitting here side by side a few weeks ago and can verify this.

I've done a fes 98 & 99 Foresters, and looked at many more. Found this to be true. Note that this rad I believe is interchangable with an Impreza. Cap is on the "other" side from a Legacy.

I thought they were the same as the N/A Imprezas. But, I have not owned or worked on a Forester. Thanks for the clarification.

can you just call them and exchange it? even if you eat some shipping or something better than eating the entire radiator?

radiatorbarn.com i believe my last forester radiator was only $90. unless it's going to be kept as a low mileage, longevity queen, barn-find into the future there's little return on investing in more expensive radiators, they just turn into a liability when future work is done around them. :lol:

you could "add" a filler onto the hose going to the engine up top, wouldn't be terribly difficult to do if you're comfortable fabricating and making things work if you were really stuck.

y'all figured it out but the later foresters i've seen all had the cap too.