Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tranny's out. What parts should I order?

Pulled the tranny last night. Might as well replace most everything in there while I can. So far on my list....clutch, pressure plate, throwout, pilot bearing, going to rework the shifter to get the miles of slop out, might build a custom downpipe while i've got the room. Any seals, tranny mounts, etc that should be replaced as well?? Engine doesn't seem to be leaking... Any suggestions are good. Oh yeah and which brands clutch/pp, and related bearings are preferred? OEM?

thanks

looks like a good list, i'd add the throw out bearing clips and reseal the rear separator plate on the back of the engine. i'd leave the rear main seal unless it shows any signs of wetness. i've never been particular on the clutch related parts. if you replace the rear main definitely use a subaru seal.

i just put a beck arnley clutch kit in my new xt6, works great. rock auto, 188 shipped to my door.

couple years ago, i put an elcheapo one from ebay into my outback wagon, and the thing chattered from day one. def worth using a better, known name. the beck arnley ones come with the throw out bearing clips too im pretty sure.

yes, def reseal the rear seperator cover with RTV silicone as suggested by gary.

I think I'm going to stay away from autozone after having a few bad experiences with them. Oreilly's carries exedy, and napa has their own brand. I'm probably not going to order online since it will probably take forever to get the parts this time of year.

I think I'm going to stay away from autozone after having a few bad experiences with them.
guy i know had that run around this summer. had it worked on 2 or 3 times at huge expenses at a shop and still had issues with the clutch. brought it to me and i declined to dive into it not having any clue what they did or didn't do and why it kept having to come out, i was worried the trans was hosed or i wouldn't be able to figure out what the problems were. he had the clutch replaced *again* and it's been fine.

New transmission is in....except uh...apparently the transmission that was in the car was from a non turbo car and so the axles in the car are 23 spline. DOh! Oh and the threads in the up pipe disintegrated when i tried to replace the o2 sensor. This simple trans swap is becoming a whole rebuild. Might as well just go td04 now. I already have the stock up/downpipes from my wrx anyway! anyone want to fab a header?

New transmission is in....except uh...apparently the transmission that was in the car was from a non turbo car and so the axles in the car are 23 spline. DOh! Oh and the threads in the up pipe disintegrated when i tried to replace the o2 sensor. This simple trans swap is becoming a whole rebuild. Might as well just go td04 now. I already have the stock up/downpipes from my wrx anyway! anyone want to fab a header?

All I did on my TD04 swap was take out the rear stud from the uppipe flange, bolt the TD04 onto the flange using the front two studs, then relocate the rear stud on the original EA82T flange. Then used a Megan Racing 3" bellmouth downpipe and it all fit perfectly.