Ultimate Subaru Message Board

97 legacy outback - replace passenger outside mirror

Does anyone know how to do this? The previous owner broke the old mirror off by hitting something. I've removed the tweeter and the plastic cover that goes on the inside of the car, behind where the mirror mounts to. But I still can't see the screw heads. At the junk yard, they were plainly visible. On this car, there appears to be a metal plate in the way. Do I need to remove the door panel?

Thanks in advance.

3 bolts hold the outside mirror assembly to the triangular door mount. 3-4 bolts hold that triangular mount to the door. The easiest way, by far, is to only remove the 3 bolts holding the exterior mirror assy, and swap away. I just replaced one a few weeks ago, pop off the trim inside, remove tweeter, 3 bolts and the mirror falls off. You do not need to remove the door panel.

Isaac

I replaced the pass mirror on my wife's Leggie OBW a few years back. I don't remember the plate, but do remember that there were three Philips head screws holding on the mirror onto the door. Those screws were on super tight. One screw in particular is recessed, and difficult to access through a small hole in the door sheet metal. I couldn't get enough leverage with a regular Philips screw driver. The screw driver just kept slipping off the screw head. If you run into this problem, use a 3/8" driver with an extension, with a phillips tip. Push in really hard on the driver head to prevent the screw driver from slipping, then rotate the driver handle to loosen.