Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 OBW--tire size recommendations??

I have a 99 Leggie OBW with standard 205 X 70 X 15 size tires. I need to replace the tires. Is it better to stick with the same size tire, or change to a 215 X 70 X 15, or possibly to a 205 X 60 or 65 X 15 size tire? I have looked at tire prices on line, and all the above sizes are about the same price. I am not concerned about loosing or gaining a little ride height, or having the speedo off by a few mph. I am guessing that the above sizes won"t cause any rub issues. I am thinking that going to one of the new tire sizes that have become available in the past 10 years may offer better handling, grip, or a better ride. There must be a good reason why 60 or 65 size profile tires became available. I did a search in this forums archives on this, but didn't find any previous post addressing my question. Anyone have any thoughts or knowledge on this?

One thing to consider when choosing a non-factory tire size, is whether or not you ever intend to run chains, since you live in an area where snow and ice is likely most winter months. I know from experience you can run traditional chains on the front of the 2nd gen OBW without interference problems. If chains are not in your future, a good resource can be found below for locating tires that will fit.

According to discounttiredirect.com these sizes will fit 215/65-15, 215/70-15 (on your factory rim) without interference.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/assignTireVehicle.do?yr=1999&mk=SUBARU&vid=006485

Also consider, are you a float on top, or dig through the snow to solid ground kind of snow driver. The wider (lower aspect ratio) tires will be more likely to float, factory size more likely to "dig through".

Next generation OBW did go to a 60 series 16". My '02 does quite well with these in snow.

I am facing the same dilema on my 97 OBW. Post what you decide.

Edited by Ionlyhave3suubs

the lower profiles perform a little better, but i doubt you'll notice a huge difference. they'll wear a little better too if you drive fast and corner hard, they'll resist the rolling a little better.

i'd focus more on brand, model, quality - materials and manufacturing have improved more than just the size and side wall ratio.

if handling is bad and you're worried about that, then you might want to consider upgrading sway bars.

Have played with 205/70s in 215/65s as of late

Id say if you don't want to change size much but change looks, gets some 225/60/15s

using a tire size calc they are not much different then

[205/70/15 and 215/65/15], but looks wise on a car they look like they are twice as wide and meaner then both of those.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalcold.html

just pulled off 205/70s to run 225/60/15 Fuzion HRIs

[on my RWD Buick wagon] and they grip like no bodies business in rain and snow and look much nicer. Narley bite for an all weather performance tire, which are usually near bald new. [Tread pattern on them looks 3 times better in person.]

dualbolt.jpg

Edited by Buick350X

The explanation given earlier about whether it rides over or claws under is good to know about. This is basic weight to patch stuff but there is more. There are many tires sold now which are a bargain. They appear to have good unidirectional and aggressive tread. EXCEPT they are all the same tire! These are not your Daddies Michelins. If this set of tires takes a bite on the surface of slip and the digging treads all slant Left...where do you think the whole car will go? This has been bugging me an i don't trust it.

Is it tire type or size that's more important?

Remember that if you go smaller/bigger you'll also mess w/your powerband. Bigger will spin less RPM @ at a given MPH, but will be slower off the line. INDY is pretty flat? If you've got hills this may matter. But if you go smaller, you'll end up higher in RPM band...and may get a vibration/resonance @ 70MPH you don't care for....you might try driving around in 3rd (AT) or 4th (5-speed) to see if you've got anything to worry about.

Another good tire size and comparison calculator is: http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp

GL,

TD

Is it better
roost will probably need to define "better". grip, longevity, wet traction, snow traction, summer traction, all seasons, road noise, cornering....etc. "better" means different things to different people and you can't get a tire that's better in every category.

Decided to go with Fisk tires available at Discount Tire. They only carry one model with the Fisk label. I have read on the internet, and a worker bee guy at Discount said the tire molds are from Michelin, prolly a tire they don't make anymore. He said the Fisk tire is good, with no "come backs" with problems to their store. I am not kidding myself, these won't be Michelin tires. Michelin could have sold the molds to another company, and prolly did. Hey the price is right at $64/tire in the OEM size of 205 X 70 X 15. Going to 215 X 70 X 15 cost $77/tire. A $13 dollar price increase in one tire size is not worth the upgrade. Yea, I would really want better tires, but finances are really tight right now, so a buck saved here and there is where I am at. I live in Indy, where heavy snow is usually not a problem. So, no one around here ever puts chains on the tires.

Discount Tire has been good to me the last 5 years that I have bought there, so I will be loyal to them. Free flat repairs on any car I bring in has saved me some money, even fixed tires that I did not buy from them. You won't get that free service from a Good year or a Firestone store.

I will report back how these tires hold up and perform.