Ultimate Subaru Message Board

residual problems from my EJ25->EJ22 swap

Hey guys ... long time! I've now put close to 5K on my '98 OBW since swapping the 2.5 with a '96 2.2

I used a 96 motor with EGR. The EGR is definitely toast but the car has been running great. I've had a CEL on since the swap regarding this. I'm also now getting a code for TPS.

Two questions...

1.) will running with a bad EGR hurt anything?

2.) I'm assuming that the TPS is in the throttle body. Can I swap the TB off my old EJ25 with the EJ22 TB? They look identical. Is there another easier fix?

The car runs great... mpg is mid 20's. The only issue I notice is that the exhaust smells a little rich. Possibly related to either? All the miles since the swap have been local, so I haven't had the urgency to mess with it. I'm getting ready to put about 2K on it next week and if it needs to be fixed, I will.

Thanks guys.

Hey guys ... long time! I've now put close to 5K on my '98 OBW since swapping the 2.5 with a '96 2.2

I used a 96 motor with EGR. The EGR is definitely toast but the car has been running great. I've had a CEL on since the swap regarding this. I'm also now getting a code for TPS.

Two questions...

1.) will running with a bad EGR hurt anything?

Nope - shouldn't bother anything. Should be a simple fix though - the EGR and associated hardware from your old manifold should fit.

2.) I'm assuming that the TPS is in the throttle body. Can I swap the TB off my old EJ25 with the EJ22 TB? They look identical. Is there another easier fix?

I think that should work. I haven't tried it but they are electrically the same so if the TPS is bad then that should solve the code. Unless there is a mounting difference it should work fine. Inspect carefully and make sure all the ports are the same or that you can swap additional hardware to make it work.

The car runs great... mpg is mid 20's. The only issue I notice is that the exhaust smells a little rich. Possibly related to either? All the miles since the swap have been local, so I haven't had the urgency to mess with it. I'm getting ready to put about 2K on it next week and if it needs to be fixed, I will.

Rich exhaust smell could indicate a mixture issue - doesn't sound like a severe one with you getting mid-20's. O2 sensor could be old, etc. Also strange smells in the exhaust can be related to failed/failing catalytic converters - but as long as they are not plugged it's just smelly. It might eventually throw a P0420 code but that is easily solved with a spacer on the rear O2 sensor.

If the front O2 sensor is original or in unknown condition you might want to just replace it on general principle - especially if the EJ25 that came out could have fouled it when it died. For $75 (about) they should be replaced every 100k because they become slow to react and you will lose effeciency.

GD

clean out the EGR, worth the easy and couple minutes to possibly get rid of the code. otherwise it won't hurt anything.

hmmm, EJ22 and EJ25 intake manifolds are different but it is a plug and play swap so i'd assume that as long as you get it to plug in it'll be fine.

can you just swap the TPS or is it a different set up?

I've heard the TPS can be involved and somewhat difficult to adjust. Therefore I swap the throttle body. But I've sold a few TPS sensors. Takes more electrical expertise than I'm willing to learn to adjust when the new one is installed.

So keep that in mind. You may just want to swap the throttle body - and they can vary by the # of little vacuum lines IIR.