Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear Disc Brakes 4wdvs2wd?

2wd and 4wd calipers, brackets, backing plates, and discs are the same. Even the xt6 calipers are the same.

the difference will be the HUB itself, the part the wheel studs are in that bolts to the rotors

hi,

i want to differ with you on this , the calipers are not all the same diameter pistons, they will fit the backing plate mount the same, but there are at least 3 different size pistons that i have measured ,, perhaps even more. next , the 2wd disc backing plates will NOT fit on a 4x4 rear trailing arm,, the big center hole is a different size , however they might be able to be modified to fit, and vise versa. last, the xt6 backing plates , both 2wd or 4x4 will locate the calipers too far out from center for them to work with 4 lug rotors, causing a misalignment of pad to rotor.

just making this note because not all things are truely equal on the rear disc brake swap parts!

Edited by ruparts

so the xt uses a bigger brake rotor? it looks like the hubs are the same when i did a part interchange.

anyone know which model has the biggest caliper?

hi, only the xt6 uses a bigger rear rotor , and the backing plates have the caliper mounting holes farther from center to allow for that. the xt6 calipers , and all 4-lug calipers , will bolt on ANY of the backing plates, but if you are going to be using a 4lug rotor you need to use backing plates from a vehicle with 4lug wheels and brakes , not an xt6.

you could use the xt6 calipers though. xt6 rear rotors have 5 lug holes.

ALL of the calipers will bolt on to ANY of the backing plates , but you have to match the backing plates to the rotors you intend to use , 4lug or 5 lug.

the pistons in the rear calipers have been made in at least 3 different diameters that i know of , possibly more , they are all "close to the same size" but they did make various size changes in those.

the only problem would be if someone got two different sized ones on the car by mis matching parts and not knowing they have different sizes in the ea-82 series cars and the xt6's, most of us think they are all the same ,,, but not so.

Edited by ruparts