Ultimate Subaru Message Board

weird clutch problem????

I have been having a wierd issue with my clutch. It is slipping really bad and making a squeeling noise, until i press the pedal all the way down and then it goes away, and then when i release the pedel it starts squeeling again, even under load,. So today I pulled the engine, come to discover both of the bearings felt good as new, and the clutch looked like it was a little used but not enough to cause a slip? and the flywheel showed a little but of heat but not grooved or anything.??? Any ideas... it was not soaked in grease either.??????:mad:

4 speed m/t dual range. gl. transmission looks like its been taken apart and serviced. I think this because it had new seals in the back and front and around the axle shafts and fresh gear oil, Its really strange.. 4WD works great. no issues at all

oh and General , what do you mean put it in and out of 4wd and that will tell me?? Is this with the engine in or out.?? My engine is sitting out on the stand. id really hate to swap it all back in and find out that the tranny is bad, If it is,, im going 5 speed d/r for sure, does the 5sp dual range run a 7 7/8 or 8 7/8 clutch set, because i have the 8/78 right now brand new