Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help. whats wrong with my 2.2

2.2 is leaking antifreeze from the top of the motor where the hose from the radiator goes into the top of the engine... it also heats up and then coools down to normal. then heats up and comes back down. never spikes but just hotter than usual. head gasket? where is my thermostat on this motor?

If it doesn't over heat, then I wouldn't be concerned about HG trouble. Sounds more like a bad thermostat is your problem. If the 2.2 motor cooling system is like the 2.5 motor, then the thermostat is in the engine block where the bottom hose connects to the engine. It is easy to get at.

If you replace the thermostat, go for an OEM Subaru thermostat, or top of the line after market unit. Cheapie thermostats don"t work well in Subies. If you go after market, make sure that the new thermostat uses the same length spring coil as the OEM, and is not a shorter coil then the original. It is those "shorties" that don't work well.

You may want to check first to see that your radiator is full, and there is coolant in the over flow container. Running low on coolant could also cause the problem that you are having.

Yep. T-stat is where lower hose attaches to WP snout. You remove the hose, then the snout to get at the T-stat.

But sounds like you may need an upper hose. For less than 25 bucks I'd replace both hoses, and grab an OEM T-stat. Even with fresh coolant you'll be maybe 50 bucks with a few hose clamps.

From your description this should solve it. Even on 2.2's it's best to fill the coolant through the top rad hose as much as possible.

If this doesn't solve it atleast you know where you stand. But your description of your issue is rare.