Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Steering Wheel Spline Count/Size

Hi guys,

I'm trying to figure out if my '70 has any sort of compatibility with steering wheel adapters from the 80's cars. Ive done some searches and every talks about listing spline sizes but nobody actually has :lol:

I was going to order the Grant 6596 adapter and try it out, but I'd rather not have to return it.

If anyone has some time and their steering wheel uninstalled, could you get some counts/measurements off of it for this thread?

Thanks in advance for any help, I'm going to go measure mine right now...

Mick and I put an 84 steering wheel on a 78 Brat and vice versa, thats as old as I ever tried. I want to say we had a minor issue with the horn contacts one way but not the other but it was something that could be overcome easily as I recall.

Alright, I got a 20 spline count and a width of 1.5cm

Thats on a 1970 FF-1.

Now I'm going to cross my fingers that something in the 80's is the same...

OK... You can stop crossing your fingers! Just measured one of the steering wheels in the shed (has a Grant adapter - or boss as we call them in Oz) and get the same measurements (20 spline count, 1.5cm).

This would mean any boss for a EA81 Subaru (79 to 84) will fit. Subaru must have kept the spline/measurements the same until the EA82 models were released.

Looks like the Grant adapter #6596 will work on any Subaru from 1966 until 1984!

Edited by Leeroy
More information

• 1 month later...