Ultimate Subaru Message Board

okay ordered a timing belt kit for my 03 Baja on Monday. Kit arrives Wednesday, thats super fast.

Problem

when i tear down my sohc baja, i find the lower right idler bearing on mine has a guide, seen in this pic compared to the Import Experts kit, notice no guide.

Pic here

IMGA1325.jpg?t=1293756553

now, there was a sheet of paper documenting something in regards to this. Problem is, my cam sprocket on the passenger side does not have the back guide on that cam gear, and the new bearing does not have the guide on it. Kit instructions say must use a guide. So, i had to reinstall and use my old bearing there. Otherwise the belt is likely to slip off. (left side cam gear has a guide on the back). right none.

what a crock of poop.

So. my rant...

i should have gone to subaru for the right parts. and the belt in their kit looks like a rubber band. If i had plans to keep this car, i would not use their belt. But since i am selling it, who cares. The old belt i pulled off had cracks in the outer part original to the car with 159k on it.

the belt in the kit is made in USA so i feel a little better.

comments.?

yes there needs be a guide whether the back cam sprocket, or guide on the bearing.

basically if you use the bearing they give you your belt could slip off the back or work back and rub something.

Edited by bheinen74

I've been ordering all my kits from mizumoauto and haven't had a single issue other than one time I got an incorrect idler (wasn't for a Subaru I don't think - part number mixup) and it was PROMPTLY corrected though I did incur return shipping on the incorrect idler. Otherwise I've been getting quality bearings in all the idlers, and belts that will surely do the job required of them if changed at the reccomended interval. The water pumps included have been good also - better than the GMB water pump I took a look at a couple weeks ago - I wouldn't consider using something of that low quality. The casting and machining looked like it was done by an 8 year old school girl from Pakistan.

I also recently did a job where my customer bought all his parts from Dayco - their timing belt components were great - the lower right idler had the lip and everything. Their hoses on the other hand were terrible - incorrect fit and "cut to fit" stuff - wouldn't touch their hoses again.

Be glad it's just that lower right idler - you can easily change that later without disturbing the timing belt or any of the other idlers.

GD

yeah that bottom right not so bad to just replace later. the old one felt good still so i reused it had no choice really.

andi am still trying to get back in the cahir i fell out of laughin on the "8 year old school girl from Pakistan" comment.

thanks i needed a laugh.

I don't usually work on anything that new.

But I know their idlers don't come with the lip on them. I've never had a problem and have probably installed 20 or 30 of their kits.

I've had 2 issues with my orders over the years. Infact the last kit I ordered was for a 2.5i and I got a kit for an STI I believe (an extra smaller idler) so I sent back the small idler and belt.

They have always treated me well. The other problem had been I tried their valve cover gaskets and I needed DOHC and they sent SOHC - I think they just credited me for it.

Hopefully they will change this kit for future orders.

Still sucks.