Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Water in air cleaner = blown carb gasket/s?

Bleh, an old thread has morphed into something else, so thought I should post it here in a fresh one. (1984 EA81)

Long story short, HG's were done a lil while ago, inlet manifold gaskets done today (didnt need doing, I bought them, so fitted them anyway)

I have the original carb, hitachi. What happens is I do a bit of running around, after some start-stop driving, the temp skyrockets and I lose a lot of coolant. I do not let it get into the red. I just made it back today, popped the hood for a look and heard some water gurgling, didnt sound like there was much left. I opened the air cleaner to find there was a considerable amount of water in there.. enough to drip off the lid, on the interior of the cleaner, above the carb. So, I suspect a carb gasket. As I have to move house tomorrow I am going to have to replace the gasket with cork. I do not have the time nor the ability to overhaul a carby, so is there any particular gasket which is likely to have gone to cause this? (There is a milkshake in the passenger side valve/rocker cover, and only a little in the drivers's side, for whatever that means)

I am out of time, if I cannot fix this tomorrow, I will have to push my car into the street and sleep in it until I can fix it. I am moving some distance.

Oh, it is safe to use cork there isn't it? Any help is appreciated, I am not mechanically minded, I am trying :o

If anyone in Melbourne (Aus) is willing to help a girl out, pls let me know, I am an hour or so up the hume. (North of the city)

Thank you.

Edited by Fox

Heyy.. just a thought...

If it is an internal gasket or "issue" inside the carb which is allowing water to "escape", when couldnt I temporarily sandwich a piece of aluminium or something with the bottom gasket between the carb and the manifold to stop the water entering the carb, and hence stop the leak? I mean, it is just for heating the carb up isnt it? Its summer where I am, and even in winter, the carb will not ice. (Australia)

Water in the air cleaner wouldn't be a carb gasket - sounds like it's comming from something else - perhaps spraying from a hose leak? Run it with the top of the air cleaner removed and see if you can spot anything - rev it up a bit as sometimes pinhole leaks in hoses won't show till the water pump starts moving more volume and pressure, etc.

GD

I read your other posts and think that the reason you have water in the valve cover is the same reason you have it on top of the carb. I don't think it is a carb gasket issue, not ruling it out completely, but I think you have something else much more critical going on. I would suspect that the headgasket repair was not done correctly and the coolant is being pushed into the crankcase and evetually out the head, into the valve cover area and through the vent tube onto the air filter and top of the carb. Without seeing it, one can never be sure, but given your overheating symptoms and description of milkshake in the valve cover and water dripping from vent hose, that would be my suspicion.

Hope you can get it fixed, sorry to hear about the bind this is putting you in. Wish there was someone close enough to help you with the problem.