Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Any one know if 205 75 r 14 will fit on a stock 90 legacy with out problems ?(rubing)

That's an Outback sized tire - I wouldn't bet on them fitting without rubbing in turns, etc. You would do well to get some outback struts and springs to go with.

GD

OK, first thing to clear up, 205/75R15 is an Outback tire size. A 205/75R14 is only two sizes bigger than stock(185/75R14) and should fit. Based on the Miata tire calculator it is only 1.2" larger diameter and about .5-.6 larger radius. So, yes it should fit. Fit will depend on stock wheel versus aftermarket wheel and even tire brands. You will just have to try them out for yourself. But, you will not need Outback struts to accomplish this.

Just trying to keep it accurate.

205/70/15 is an outback tire size, not 205/75/15. (wink) 185/70/14 is the stock size. No 75s Ken.

Yes, those tires (205 75 r 14) will rub on your struts. Know from experience, ask Andy about the legacy I scored him for his friend in Spovegas.

A 205 is much wider than the stock 185, and will not have clearance unless you have wheels that really stick out.

Edited by Zap

205/70/15 is an outback tire size, not 205/75/15. (wink) 185/70/14 is the stock size. No 75s Ken.

Yes, those tires (205 75 r 14) will rub on your struts. Know from experience, ask Andy about the legacy I scored him for his friend in Spovegas.

A 205 is much wider than the stock 185, and will not have clearance unless you have wheels that really stick out.

You are correct on the size. But, the 75's are not as wide as the 70's. They would be slightly taller though.

Yeah - my '91 Turbo had 205's on it when I got it and I had to replace the rear's because the strut spring perch had cut a groove in the sidewall..... be very careful with tires that wide unless you go to an OB strut that has a higher spring perch. I put 195's on my SS and the handling improved from the lower center of gravity. Traction was not changed much if at all.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Yeah, I think I had 215/45R17's on my old Legacy - rubbed on the strut towers up front (IIRC, it's been a while) and I had to get the rear guards rolled as to avoid ripping off nice strips of rubber from the lip on the rear wheel wells.

Still looked pretty cool though :)

What?

205=width of tread. 75=% of width. 75 or 70 only has to do with height, nothing to do with width.

You can barely put your finger between a stock legacy/impreza rear tire and strut.

Almost right

75 and 70 are both aspect ratio's. The 205 represents the distance from bead to bead. The 75 sidewall would then be taller than the 70 sidewall. That will make the tread pattern of the 70 series tire wider than the 75 series as both have 205 between the beads.

The sidewall of a 205/75R14 is ~6.1" while the sidewall of a 205/70R14 is ~5.6" This would add ~.5" to the tread width of the 70 series tire.

Edited by Qman

Almost right

75 and 70 are both aspect ratio's. The 205 represents the distance from bead to bead. The 75 sidewall would then be taller than the 70 sidewall. That will make the tread pattern of the 70 series tire wider than the 75 series as both have 205 between the beads.

The sidewall of a 205/75R14 is ~6.1" while the sidewall of a 205/70R14 is ~5.6" This would add ~.5" to the tread width of the 70 series tire.

your math appears to be correct, but have always understood the second number to be the distance from the wheel to the outer diameter of the tread. not the width of the tread. but i may be misunderstanding the terminology.

the diameter of the 205/75/14 is ~26.10''.

stock outback, late 90s, is ~26.30''

stock legacy, 185/70/14, is ~24.20''

but all of these number are theory, actual tire size may vary.

Edited by Qman

I've been running 98 Outback alloys with 205 70 15 Michelin X radials on my bone stock 97 Legacy Brighton wagon with no issues. I swapped them out with new 205 70 15 Cooper Glacier Grip II's on 98 alloys with no issues other than they rub the front inner liner on full lock on a bump, and just barely. Yes clearance is tight but they work and I haven't had a tire damaged.