Ultimate Subaru Message Board

new 94SS body repair - rebuild begins

Just wanted to share my pictures of the most recent build i am working on.

car: 1994 Legacy Sport Sedan5mt

issue: bought at auction from CA, you can see the extent of the bulk of damage here.

other things: lifter tick, tick tick.

I changed the oil and ran it for some time, but think i have air in the hla's on one cyl (bleeding some spare hla's now from a spare set of heads) and will see if i can get that fixed Wednesday, its the front side nearest battery using scope. tomorrow high supposed to be 35 so i can deal with that temp for the 2 hour or so job of replacing the hlas.

It is sure a pretty color.

Already have bumper and beam, and fender and corner lights.

Hopefully i wont have more into it than it can sell for, window is cracked in center, rear spoiler needs repainted. Main thing is no rust.

using the stock exhaust to put on my red 94, that exhaust will go to this car. keeping the wheels as spares, next pictures will show it wearing some WRX 16" wheels.

IMGA1341.jpg?t=1294208580

IMGA1339.jpg?t=1294208580

IMGA1343.jpg?t=1294208580

Edited by bheinen74

today:

made sure the spark plug wasnt loose.

made sure cam sprocket wasnt loose

proceeded with removal of rocker supports on driver side. Found one HLA that was spongy, so replaced it with a good spare from some parts i had laying around.

Put everything back together. Ooh smooth quiet no tick tick tick tick tick.

Has a CEL so i hooked up diagnostic connectors under the dash.

Code was 22: knock sensor

proceeded to clear codes, it comes back wont clear.

remove knock sensor. yep it was cracked in several locations. replaced with one i had laying around.

cleared codes, did not come back.

smooth

Then next set of things i did was remove old bumper beam and remove driver fender.

Then i pulled on the bent stuff using come along and ratchet straps (used my other 94ss toe hook as the anchor point, to get most everything back in place. I have about 1/2inch more to go on the driver side, passenger side fine. Put on replacement fender just temporary 3 bolts.

Put on other bumper just temporary. need to go 1/2" more and should be happy.

good fender put on today

realigned hood

installed corner lights

adjust headlight mounts that had to be glued back on and pulled out the radiator support

aligned grill.

all that is now looking really good.

but.....

my replacement bumper beam also has a bend in it so i got to get that sorted out. It is bent on the passenger side, the original is bent on driver side.

I have to drill out the mount brackets spot welds and make a good one since there are no other Turbo cars in the yards..

more to come.

I like those 5 spoke wheels a lot more than wrx wheels. If you ever want to sell them let me know.

Agreed but they are 15" and many new model brakes won't work with a 15" wheel.

I agree you could weld the beam but I would put reinforcement bars all the way across if I did that, simply welding might result in a weak spot in the center.

• 2 weeks later...

pics mostly done.

Bumper paint didnt match so i reordered from a different place for the fender and spoiler. They match lots better.

again mostly done.

IMGA1378.jpg?t=1296082801

IMGA1384.jpg?t=1296082801

IMGA1377.jpg?t=1296083833

going to ask 3k for it but it will come with 02WRX alloys / tires, and i am keeping the stock xhaust it will be swapped with my other SS xhaust.

Edited by bheinen74
picts

Thanks Shawn. I painted the spoiler and fender in my basement, bumper I used the bathroom.

I am for sure not a pro, but decent enough, and this car deserved to be brought back on the road and not crushed or parted out.

I do highly recommend the following for spray paint:

http://www.paintscratch.com/

My first paint got mixed at the nearest Oreilly, verdict they suck at matching.

So then i went online and found the above place and read the testimonials on the site about how well it matches.

Very happy, I may order another can so i can redo the bumper, but since i am selling it, probably just let it be.

• 2 weeks later...

lots of updates to tell.

fixed the headlights/grill/bumper/hood alignment now is this

IMGA1442.jpg?t=1297374864

IMGA1443.jpg?t=1297374864

seats are redone

IMGA1441.jpg?t=1297374864

IMGA1444.jpg?t=1297374864

IMGA1445.jpg?t=1297374864

free flow exhaust installed now too

IMGA1446.jpg?t=1297374864

waiting for warm temps to hit this weekend to wash and get these all nice. asking 3000.

Edited by bheinen74

IMGA1349.jpg?t=1294881085

yes my paint booth is the bathroom.

-when its 5 degrees outside and windchill of -20, projects have to be brought into the house.

-preparing the bumper with some primer/sealer at this point.

Nice work...........you gotta be single, my wife would kill me, if I ever tried to use a bathroom as a paint booth!