Ultimate Subaru Message Board

rebuilding a 86 turbo wagon

Wish I had found this site before. I problemly would had put a ej22 in.

Nothing but problems. Heads cracked, took forever to find. Found JDM EA

with good heads. My mech miked out all and it looks great. But now the turbo is leaking and he can't find a gasket set for it.: Can anyone help?

with good heads. My mech miked out all and it looks great. But now the turbo is leaking and he can't find a gasket set for it.: Can anyone help?

Yea, my GL has a supposed around 40k mile JDM engine in it and runs good still but im already keeping money tucked away for the second it pops to put an EJ in it =]

Make a post on the Wanted board here and someone would have a gasket set for you. Subaru people are pack rats, they keep everything that can be of use!!

Which gaskets are you looking for? The exhaust-side inlet and outlet gaskets, or something else?

BTW, where did you see the head cracks? Minor ones inbetween the valve seats are common/"normal"; only a concern of they are VERY deep. The crack to worry about is in the divider in the exhaust port.

If you are talking about the mechanical seals inside the turbine - good luck. I doubt you will be able to purchase a rebuild kit for a VF-7 and if you could it would be more cost effective to just find a used one.

GD

Lots of those on ebay.About$50.

I looked but my search-fu must not be the equal of your's. I was unable to find an applicable kit for a VF-7. Lots of them for the newer stuff but nothing that I could see for the older.

GD

VF-1,2,4,7 makes no difference.

The non-rotating rebuild parts are the same for all IHI RHB5 turbos except for 2 different width bearings.I think subarus are 6mm.

Here is one that comes w/both bearing sizes:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Turbo-Repair-Kit-97-99-Chrylser-Voyager-2-5L-IHI-RHB5-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2a0cf16c60QQitemZ180605774944QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Or,if you don`t like ebay

http://www.turbomaster.info/eng/catalogs/model.php?base=ihi&pagina=RHB5