Ultimate Subaru Message Board

need help/ideas on a 93 legacy

Just bought a 93 legacy wagon auto that cranks but wont start. Geting fuel and spark. going to check timing and codes this weekend but my moneys on the crankshaft position sensor. Any ideas? so if ya gota known working one let me know what you want for it and will get the ball moving.s what year can i use 90 to 94 2.2's? feel free to post pm or email me.

thanks guys/girls ahead of time :clap:

this site is the bees knees!:headbang:

i can be reached at

codyhook28@gmail.com or on here.

Edited by Captin Hook
i am a tard

Just bought a 93 legacy wagon auto that cranks but wont start. Geting fuel and spark. going to check timing and codes this weekend but my moneys on a the cks. Any ideas? so if ya gota known working one let me know what you want for it and will get the ball moving. feel free to post pm or email me.

thanks guys/girls ahead of time :clap:

this site is the bees knees!:headbang:

i can be reached at

codyhook28@gmail.com or on here.

what is a 'cps' and or a 'cks'????????

If you have spark, then it's not the crank sensor. When they go, you have nothing, and it's uncommon to get a bad one. If you are positive you have fuel and spark, then I would check the timing. On these motors if the timing is out, it will pop through the intake sometimes. Just something to look for. Before I did anything though, I would check for codes. I can't stress that enough to people. If the car can give you a headstart on what the problem is, let it. That's why OBD is there.

Well got here home yesterday an checked the cel codes and nothing.

So i tore the t belt covers off and low and behold someone did a ************ty job on timeing it last cause the driver side was off by .5 to 1 tooth. belt and tentioners all look to be newish ( no checking on belts and no bad berrings) so wes going to retime it and see what happens. thanks to the TWO people that put in some input.

How did you test for fuel? It is fairly common for the fuel pump to give out, and it can be intermittent. Unless you have seen fuel spraying out of the injectors (even I am not crazy enough to test this way), or at least checked fuel pressure AND injector signal (using a noid or similar indicator), then you might be assuming too much.

Being 1 tooth off would probably not prevent the engine from starting; it might throw a cam sensor code, but if you are getting spark it is not serious enough to prevent a start.