Ultimate Subaru Message Board

OOPS, looks like it wasnt the rear main seal.

After yanking the motor for a re-seal and a ton of other stuff, tossing it back together and getting her back on the road....

I find that the main leak I was aiming to fix was NOT fixed. :rolleyes:

Looks like the input shaft seal on the trans may be leaking. Its the only other possible suspect. I thought that oil seemed a bit thick :D

So....

Any tips for yanking the trans? Can you pull it out the bottom, or should I just yank the motor again?

I love the smell of burning gear oil in the morning :popcorn:

I have no problems splitting the case.

Ive done trans work before, just not on a Subaru.

Out the bottom it is!

Are all of the seals still available from the dealer?

Might as well replace them all.

My 3rd gear is a bit of a grinder too. Syncros are nearly done for. So I will probably pick up a used trans and go through it before I drop the one in my car.

Yes - the seals are all still availible. In any case they should be pretty standard seals that you can source from any bearing house, etc. Just about all the parts are still availible - while you are in there inspect the speedo drive gear and the seal on the speedo cable drive shaft. Those are also a bugger to get to unless you split the case.

They are fun to dissasemble - lots going on so take pictures as you go. Especially of the shifter assemblies, etc.

GD

After yanking the motor for a re-seal and a ton of other stuff, tossing it back together and getting her back on the road....

I find that the main leak I was aiming to fix was NOT fixed. :rolleyes:

Looks like the input shaft seal on the trans may be leaking. Its the only other possible suspect. I thought that oil seemed a bit thick :D

So....

Any tips for yanking the trans? Can you pull it out the bottom, or should I just yank the motor again?

I love the smell of burning gear oil in the morning :popcorn:

hi,

some blocks have a metal cover right beside the rear main seal, this cover is prone to leak also. it has a gasket and about 6 bolts hold it to the block.