Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'02 engine year replacements

Need to know what year engines fit in my 02 legacy outback sedan.crank and rod bearings bad.split engine and have crank out.I thinking at this point it is easier to replace entire engine. Have all sensors and ran with no problem before severe rod knocking.

Found locally 99. 2.5 but need to know if block will. Work.....I can reuse my intake or whatever else from my 02.

The 99 engine is from an outback .so that wont work?

any model 2.5 after '00 will work.,is how I understand it.

what year foresters and rs engines am I looking for?

salvage yard says I need an 02 as others listed have different sensors???

what off my 02 do I have to reuse on an '00 or newer 2.5.

thanks for any help.I appreciate info as I have no idea what years I need.

The '99 Outback engine is a phase-I DOHC engine. It will not work - not even the short block.

'99 Forester/2.5RS engines are ok - that was the first model/year to get the phase-II SOHC EJ25.

'00 to '05 will work. Tell them you don't care about the sensors, etc as you will be using your original manifold and maybe your original heads. The long block's are basically all the same. And of the phase-II EJ251's will work (the '99 phase-II is technically an EJ253 but will work just the same).

There *could* be difference in the cam and crank pullies for the t-belt. But again you can just use the one's off your old engine.

GD

GD,

Thank you for replies and added info........I now need to decide if I get my crank ground and new bearings. Can't seem to find a rebuilt crank exchange.I would most likely rering pistons also. Not sure as reassembling the engine is involved. I still meed to price both ways..

are there vendor you could recommend for these parts?

I rebuilt my EJ 253 from an 07 2.5I legacy.

Used Rockauto and AutoParts Warehouse. APW website is just a pain to use, but, they had better prices for the seals and gaskets.

Only replaced T belt not pulleys etc. Car only had 85K. Still usable but didn't want to go back in just to do it.

I reused the OEM water pump gasket since it was aluminum.

Bearings find someone that has ACL.

I let machine shop get mine.

Most head bolt sets are in a group of 6. Check with source as to how many are included.

Don't know if you've done a Suby engine before, but a few tips.

there is a bolt that goes through crankcase behind water pump. A great place to use as a fulcrum point to lever that lower crank pulley in so that the bolt holes line up. Also make sure the oil pump is orientated correctly before putting sealant on it. Since it is driven by a flat surface on the crank.

Don't forget to pull the pin from hydraulic tensioner!

Have fun

O.

Personally I would probably buy my bearings and rings for an EJ at the dealer. I'm investigating that right now actually. I have used Sealed Power in the past (Fel-Pro) and had good luck with them on EA's but for the EJ's (specifically I'm doing an EJ25D for a frankenmotor) they are so particular and prone to bottom end failure that I feel it's wise to stick with the OEM. The engine I'm doing was dissasembled by a NASIOC member that bought it just for the heads. I guess he tore down the short block to see the insides of it - only had 120k on it and looks good inside so I'm going to do a power-hone and new rings/bearings - it doesn't need anything undersized or oversized in my case so my thought was to use OEM wear items and have the extra peice of mind.....

You shouldn't reuse the OEM water pump gasket - they are a throw-away once they have been crushed and are only a couple $.

I have never replaced a head bolt on a Subaru either. That comes from people thinking these are similar to GM stuff. They are not and the head bolts are not an item that needs replacement unless they are damaged.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder