Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ2.5SOHC Oil Leak...on top???

Got a reman from CCR and installed it in my 2002 OBW October, have about 6,000 miles on it and have an oil leak on both sides of the case near the head gasket seam, on top of the engine, left side front and right side rear, left front is the worst. It's enough on the left side that it is pooling in the case webs and running back down the head onto the exhaust causing a lot of stink. Not very happy, although they seemed concerned enough to honor it under a warranty...sortof...I just have to take it out and put it back in... Anyone have any idea what it could be besides a cracked case? The wetness starts at the actual gasket seam between the heads and case but I'll need to clean it off well and check again for a better guess. Not much on top that could be leaking that I know of. :slobber:

Oil pressure sensor. That's right between the alternator and power steering pump. But if the wetness is starting at the head gaskets, I would have to think the gaskets didn't seal properly for some reason. But the odds of that happening on both heads? Probably very low.

Do a very through cleaning and careful examination.

Are you sure it's not power steering fluid?

i had an old XT6 which used to pool oil on the top of the block too, not sure where it came from but i never though it was the headgaskets, seemed more central but it's been over 5 years ago. it was previously overheated really bad by the previous owner and i replaced the headgaskets when i got it. not that it helps you any, just interesting reading this thread since i had never seen or heard of it before.

Got a reman from CCR and installed it in my 2002 OBW October, have about 6,000 miles on it and have an oil leak on both sides of the case near the head gasket seam, on top of the engine, left side front and right side rear, left front is the worst. It's enough on the left side that it is pooling in the case webs and running back down the head onto the exhaust causing a lot of stink. Not very happy, although they seemed concerned enough to honor it under a warranty...sortof...I just have to take it out and put it back in... Anyone have any idea what it could be besides a cracked case? The wetness starts at the actual gasket seam between the heads and case but I'll need to clean it off well and check again for a better guess. Not much on top that could be leaking that I know of. :slobber:

Do you have a spec sheet for the "remanufacuring" of your engine?

Here's what I would expect from a REMANUFACTURED engine:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/465997/remanufactured_engine_vs_rebuilt_engine.html?cat=15

These are just my personal expections, they would be same no matter who was the remanufacturer. And I can not comment on your particular engine because I have absolutely no knowledge of the steps used to remanufacture it.

Yes - make sure the oil pooling on the top left is not from the power steering pump (which should be ATF but all too often has been changed for some other fluid).

Your engine is well-known for external head gasket leaks - both oil and coolant. It's typically at the rear bottom corner. The driver's side is almost always the worst and generally accounts for 80% or more of the failure that are seen.

Updated head gaskets are availible from the dealer that fixed this issue years ago (like back in '06). If you are having leaks at that point I would suspect an improper rebuild using sub-standard aftermarket gaskets.... or being it was all dirty as you say..... perhaps it wasn't actually rebuilt at all.

GD

Unfortunately the Phase-II gaskets are not MLS. They are single layer gaskets (very thin) with a coating on either side. Both old and new gaskets are the same in this respect so it is not actually possible to tell if they have been done before without actually removing the head and inspecting the gasket coating's shape and location....

GD

Still haven't had time to clean it but have looked it over again a little closer. Oil pressure switch is dry as a bone as is the whole "center" of the top of the engine. Power steering pump is on the right front and that area is dry, no pump or hose leaks. Valve covers are bone dry. The left (driver) side is the worst, with about half a dixie cup of oil (not a small amount!) starting right about where the A/C compressor mount is aft to the knock sensor, that whole area from the head gasket toward the center of the engine is damp, with oil pooling in the stiffening webs, dripping down the back of the head on to the exhaust. Outboard of the head gasket towards the cover is dry. The right (passenger) side is much less, only a small amount (about the amount that would fill the cap off of a bottle of oil) on the aft side, same as the left, from the head gasket line inboard in the webs. PCV area is bone dry, valve cover is dry. Not looking forward to having to tear this thing out on my time, be carless waiting for what may be a roll of the dice replacement under "warranty" that may have operational issues like the other poor bastard posted on his 2.5 thread.

Edited by citabrickr

That sounds like a HG to me, as the only place for pressurized oil to be up there is the oil press switch. CLean it start it and drive for an hour or so then check. if not enough time check every day. Take pictures of before cleaning after cleaning and then when the oil starts to appera again before it puddles.

I would contact CCR, sounds like the heads were NOT torqued properly. The pressurized oil passage to the heads is toward the front top on the drivers side ( IIRC ) and toward the top rear on the passenger side.

Both sides use the same gasket,, so it's toward the front on the top of one side and the rear on the other.

But this is without seeing, touching or being around the vehicle, just from your description. Take pictures and send them to CCR.

They used to give a 3yr/36K warrenty and this is something you could not have caused.