Ultimate Subaru Message Board

broke down need help fuel filter.

I'm with GD on this one. The vapor "separator" in the engine compartment is not really a fuel filter. The fuel filter you need to replace is down by the fuel pump (underneath the car near the rear wheel on my Brat....not sure where it is on your car). Replace that first, before you look for more complicated reasons for the symptoms.

so this morning the car worked and operated perfect. then about 20 mins into the trip same thing happened again. sputtering and dieing, could this be the crapy gas i put in from arco., maybe a bad batch of gas?? I cnt think of anything else it could be. im draining the tank today and changing the other fuel flter on the tank

Edited by HATCHY

so this morning the car worked and operated perfect. then about 20 mins into the trip same thing happened again. sputtering and dieing, could this be the crapy gas i put in from arco., maybe a bad batch of gas?? I cnt think of anything else it could be. im draining the tank today and changing the other fuel flter on the tank

Those are the typical symptoms of an old fuel filter. For some reason it's aggravated in very cold weather. It probably won't go away until you replace the ff, but it couldn't hurt to pour a can of "dry gas" into the tank with the next fuel fillup. I don't see much benefit from draining the fuel tank; I'll leave that up to others since I've never had to do that even on my '82 or '84 Brats.

You need to go somewhere other than Shucks. That is not a good choice for Subaru parts. Napa is about the best of the "chain" stores and that's not saying much - they pretty much suck also. You can check for the proper parts listing through their web site though and then take in the part number to eliminate the counter-monkey from screwing up your order.

If you have any specialty import parts houses around - go there. I use a place called Discount Import Parts - they started out as a VW parts house but from there branced into Audi and then all the rest of the import brands. They have the best prices and the highest quality parts - brands that no chain stores sell.

It sounds like your issue might be that plug wire - but you should change that fuel filter anyway. It's easy and cheap.

GD

Appreciate the help. I usually use Napa. Thats where my clutch was from. So I just did front fuel filter and I'm about to do the rear. Full tune up cap rotor spark plugs (ngk) wires. And a bottle of heet. For the tank. I hope this it. Working on cara outside in the mud in he winter is rough