Ultimate Subaru Message Board

No, I have been trying to go check out a 97 legacy on ebay out of Richmond but having a little trouble setting up a time? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300512530998&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT Anyway I do find the listing you put up interesting I may do some checking on it. I am really looking for a Legacy Wagon up to 96 with 5 speed and working cruise control. AWD not necessary! For whatever reason the 5 speed with the cruise seems a little hard to find! If you come across anything else please send it my way. Thanks Jay

Edited by jazzmandolin

For whatever reason the 5 speed with the cruise seems a little hard to find! If you come across anything else please send it my way. Thanks Jay

i wouldn't let the lack of cruise hold you back. i'm pretty sure you can have the dealer add it to any subaru from the 90s. of course it would be way easier and probably cheaper if it came on the car. but if you find a car you like and it's a deal you can always add it.

good luck.

Interferance vs. non-interferance isn't an issue in the real world - that's an issue of people coming over from the EA side and thinking these are like EA82's and are going to break a timing belt at any moment. The reality is that I've worked on dozens and dozens of EJ's - replaced countless timing belts..... I haven't yet seen a failure even when run far past the reccomended change interval, drug over seized water pumps and idler's..... just doesn't happen in the real world. You occasionally hear about it but it's usually from massive neglect.

'97 and '98 are my preference for phase-I EJ22's because they have solid lifters.

GD

From http://allwheeldriveauto.com/subaru-head-gasket-problems-explained/

The first group is the 1st generation 2.5l engine found predominantly in the 1996 to 1999 Outback, Legacy G.T., Forrester (up to mid year 1998) and Subaru Impreza R.S. This group usually, will develop an internal head gasket leak ultimately resulting with an overheating engine.

The second group is the 2nd generation Subaru 2.2l and 2.5l engines found in the Forrester from mid year 1998, Impreza from mid year 1998, the Outback and Legacy from 2000.

Here is some of the technical information related to the gaskets used.

In 1996 on the 2.5l engine Subaru used a composite type head gasket similar in construction to the head gaskets found in the Subaru Legacy & Impreza 2.2l engine. Starting in 1997 and used through 1999 Subaru began to use a multi layer steel shim head gasket with a graphite type outer film. And this is where the problem has started.

What we typically see with these gaskets is that the film between the combustion chamber and the cooling jacket or passageway is compromised allowing coolant into the combustion chamber and exhaust pressure and temperature into the cooling system. Subaru has come up with an updated head gasket design that seems to be holding up well.

In mid year 1998 Subaru redesigned the 2.2l and 2.5l, most of the changes were in the cylinder heads and camshaft configurations. This design has had mostly problems with external head gasket leaks.

did you see this one? not sure it is a 5 speed though.

http://richmond.craigslist.org/cto/2155653932.html

1996 Subaru Outback AWD - $2100 (Nottoway, VA)

Date: 2011-01-11, 6:25PM EST

Reply to: sale-9amzr-2155653932@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

I have a 1996 Subaru Outback AWD in nice shape with only 119,000 miles on it with a clear title. The engine does not smoke at all and the transmission shifts nice. It has hot heat and cold A/C. The interior is in excellent condition for being 15 years old. There is NO RUST at all on this vehicle. It only needs a few things to pass inspection but is drivable like it is.... tires, rear wiper blade, tie rod end and a fog light bulb. As far as cosmetics are concerned.... dent in the passenger rear door which most or all of it will pop right out, small paint chip missing from driver rear door, a couple small scuffs on the bumper and a few scratches. The check engine light is on but it runs great, starts everytime and does not overheat. If I can not sell or trade within the next few days, I will just keep it until winter is over.

Kelly Blue Book has it listed with "private Party Selling" at FAIR condition for $3,160.00 So, at my price, I think you are getting a great deal! You can email me through Craigslist or TEXT me at 434-294-5269 for further information.

I WILL TRADE IT FOR A BIG 4X4 TRUCK (extended cab or 4 door), BIG 4X4 SUV OR A NICE V8 MUSTANG 5 SPEED. LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU HAVE!!!

http://www.kbb.com/used-cars/subaru/legacy/1996/private-party-value/pricing-report?condition=fair&id=9698&category=wagon&equipment=355409%7ctrue&mileage=119500

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

3nb3m53p95W45U05X5b1bd6ceb6ecc9a71af0.jpg3nb3m73o85Y25O55P6b1b80695edbcca8181d.jpg3kc3mf3pe5Y45W45R6b1b29dc7e25e2ac1aad.jpg3kd3pf3oa5T35U45P3b1b4e7c8da33ba11977.jpg

I haven't yet seen a failure even when run far past the reccomended change interval, drug over seized water pumps and idler's..... just doesn't happen in the real world.
i wouldn't write off timing belt failure too quickly. they are robust for sure but i've seen a few 100k belts not make it and i wouldn't chalk them all up to neglect. there are incidents documented here and other forums too. they do *say* to inspect i believe prior to 100k but i doubt anyone is doing that. probably not a bad idea at some point though. the new style tensioners are lame too, i've seen them fail a lot - though not enough yet to loose the belt, but others have.

but it's easy enough to remedy, just replace the stuff when you get one which i think is probably more your point.

Edited by grossgary