Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I need a daily driver while i upgrade the gl. dude wants 500 bucks for a legacy sedan with 2.2 turbo at 177k and a blown auto tranny.

Will this thing die in the 4 months i need to do my swap. how ahrd would it be to swap a man. trans in it. Did the same swap on an auto loyale so i know how to if its the same deal.

Would this be a better motor to put in the gl project? I have a 155k 2.2NA at the moment, but i havent started overhauling yet.

Thank you guys for all the great advice and encouragement.

Mike

Ive heard the 2.2 turbo is one of Subarus best engines ever, so i say buy the thing, put that engine into the GL and find another car to drive while your doing the swap.

I know i solve nothing with this solution. You have a non running engine-less car, a more indepth project and no daily driver... lol

The 22T is a great engine - but as for buying one and not doing much to it - that's a crap shoot. As with any turbo - after 100k things get cooked from the added heat. Hoses and rubber go first and if you spring a leak an overheat is just around the corner. The upper water tank nipples like to break off, PCV hoses get brittle, turbo ducting breaks, etc. Maintenance is the killer on them. Properly maintained they will run a long time (300k+). Improperly maintained.... the original engine out of my car (91 SS) died at 165k because they overheated it till things started to melt - blew out the heater core and radiator - cooked the turbo - seized the engine.

I would not use one off-road. The low-end torque is not as good because you have to spool the turbo or it's a low-compression engine. The factory turbo is small so it does spool quick but it wouldn't be my choice. There's just too much complexity with a turbo engine and complicated = broken when you are talking about off-road situations.

GD

probably the strongest and most well built engine subaru ever made.

Things under there get brittle like glass, all hoses, rubber lines etc, electrical wiring for sensors. All due to the turbo heat.

The engine will not have issues internally if maintained, but plan on new hoses for most everything including coolant and vacuum lines crossover, breather hoses etc.

I have seen them with 400k miles and still going strong with those types of upkeep.

non interference design, parts are shared accross the non turbo model for the most part. i enjoy all of mine previous, present, and future.

As said before, the low compression of the turbo engine leaves it severely lacking any kind of power on the bottom end. Not gonna do well off road.

Turbos can be used off road, but there are way more chances for failure of the catastrophic kind. Pop the vacuum line off the waste gate, get over-boost, put a hole through a piston (or three), your motor is toast, and you're up a creek out in BFE.

Consider a franken motor for off road. Keep the turbo for a DD in the meantime.