Ultimate Subaru Message Board

recommended timing

what would you people say i should set the ignition timing at on my 1988 GL-10 EA82T? the manual i have says 20 degrees, i say the manuals crazy, but the manual is factory specs. also, it still idles a little high, but no 3k RPM's. i knocked down the timing to 10 degrees and that knocked the motor down to a acceptable idle (about 850 to 900) but right now it idles at about 1150 to 1200 RPM fully warmed up, 50 degrees outside.

The base ignition is set at 20degBTDC or 25, depending on year, WITH the green connectors under the steering column connected. (This tells the ECU to not diddle the timing while you are trying to set it.)

10degBTDC will leave it gutless. Your high idle is probably due to issues with your throttle body, and more specifically your IAC (Idle Air Control).

You clearly don't understand what you are messing with - the '87+ base timing is what the ECU expects to see - it can advance and retard from there as it see's fit. You need to set it to 20* for the ECU's software to know what the hell is going on.

You shouldn't be monkeying with stuff that you don't understand. Do some reasearch before you call someone that's written a manual "crazy"

GD

You clearly don't understand what you are messing with - the '87+ base timing is what the ECU expects to see - it can advance and retard from there as it see's fit. You need to set it to 20* for the ECU's software to know what the hell is going on.

You shouldn't be monkeying with stuff that you don't understand. Do some reasearch before you call someone that's written a manual "crazy"

GD

ok, but still, how should i set it? i kinda have to cause i had the engine completely tore down, which in turn means i had the distributor out and it needs to be reset.

ok, but still, how should i set it? i kinda have to cause i had the engine completely tore down, which in turn means i had the distributor out and it needs to be reset.

Set the timing(install the distributor) during the timing belt isntall. You can line up the ignition based on counting the rotations during the timing belt procedure.

if you had notremoved the disty, turn ot to the right. connect the green plugs on the firewall to set timing with a light, then un plug them and leave them unplugged.