Ultimate Subaru Message Board

86 Subaru GL

I drive a sweet 86 GL Hatchback, carborator only with 77,000 original miles on her, keeping oil changed, new belts and some hoses.

Lately, a small amount of moisture got in the gas and I have been using "Heet" to help with removing moisure from the fuel (my mechanic said to do this) but it feels like I'm running out of gas when I go uphill or drive over 30ish. Mechanic also said she needs a new fuel filter, but I wonder if I should have a tune up.

I know this sounds stupid, a 25 year old car might need a tune up? I just don't want to get ripped off again and again. I got the fuel filter and will install it tomorrow.

What does a tune up involve for my car? Plugs, wires, points? More? I'm on disability and can't afford more, but I don't want my car to suffer due to my lack of knowledge. Help

Welcome!

...What does a tune up involve for my car? ...

A Basic Tune-Up just involves what you Already Wrote:

• New SpakPlugs : NGK Brand works Best in Subarus and those are Cheap. BPR6ES11 are their Usual Number.
  • Set up the Timing to the Required Degrees... That Basically only needs a Light Gun.
  • New Oil + Oil Filter: Just in case the ones on the Engine are Old.
  • A Carburetor CleanUp + New Air Filter Element: Again, just in Case the one it has is Worn.

if you Suspect that the Carb is Dirty, sometimes This Cheap Procedure could Help you to Solve the Problem:

In a Near Empty Fuel Tank, Pour a "Carburetor Cleaner" Bottle for Fuel and then Pour Three Gallons of Gasoline: This will make it to be very Concentrated and will Help to Solve Gum & Barnish inside the Carb; Also Grab a Can of "Carburetor & Choke Cleaner" Spray and Use it Carefully as Follows:

When the Engine Reaches Normal operating Temps: Shut it Off and Remove the Air Filter Box's Cover, then Spray the Carb Cleaner to the Carb's Opening, but be Careful: That Fluid is Dangerous (Specially to the Eyes & Skin), so you must Read the Can's Safety instructions before Use it.

Spray some Shots to the Carb with Engine off, you can Use the Tiny Hose to reach the Deep Openings / Areas... Let it Rest for a While... (at least Half Hour or More to let it Solve the Dirt) ...then the Car will be Rough to Start.

Once the Engine started and is Running Normal Again, you must Hold the Accelerator Cable with one Hand to make it Rev at Around 3K RPM's and with the Other Hand, Shot some Short Carb Cleaner Spray Blasts to the Carb.

Warning!: Be Sure that you Already Removed the Tiny Hose from the Spray Can and its Nose is Pointin' Right to the Carb's Opening; also that there are no Loose objets hangin' Around the engine when you Doing this, including your Clothes.

With Every Spray's Shot, the RPM's will Drop but you must Hold the Accelerator cable in order to avoid the Engine to Shut Off... Let it Back to Normal and then Repeat that some times Untill you Feel that the Engine goes Back to Idle Smooth. That's it! :)

Replace the Air Filter Box's Cover and The Carb must be Half Cleaned: The Deep inside Carb Cleaning will be Done by the Fuel / Carb Cleaner Mixture on the Gas Tank, so Don't Refill the Tank untill it Goes Near Empty, to allow the Concentrated Mixture to Clean up your Engine's Carb & Fuel System...

I Kindly Suggest you to Drive it in Low Gears at Higher RPM's than Usual for a While, to Let the Carb Cleaner / Fuel Mixture at the Fuel Tank Clean it Right.

But Other items could need Replacement, Such as SparkPlug Wires, Disty Cap & Rotor; Etc... I Kindly Suggest you to Check Everything.

Hope This can Help.

Kind Regards.

• 3 weeks later...

The best thing for power and reliability... is a weber.

They are pretty spendy.. Like $150 up in these parts, but its well worth it. The hitatchi carbs are just junk.

I would also recommend you flush the radiator and replace ALL the coolant hoses you can see. If you spring a leak, its not that bad, the coolant will cook off the engine (its awesome to see people freak out cuz they think your car :Flame: ) I would do that, its pretty simple.

• 7 months later...