Ultimate Subaru Message Board

clacking just wont go away

Hey Soobienewbie...

I live close but not a turbo man so not sure I can be much good for you and sounds like youre good on your own except the stupid learning curve when diving into new territory. I feel your pain. On my first major repair I went to our local Subaru dealer in Pasco for parts and remembered about the not "O" rings seal and asked for a couple.. they did a search and swore that there weren't any in my EA-82... remembering the coments from others I pressed on.. "double, double check".. "no sir"-the dealer confirmed.. not in a EA-82 non-Turbo. So on a Sat. morn when dealer was closed and Felpro head gasket in hand I tore in after the head gasket and sure enough as I was taking cam-towers off Sat. morn.. :banghead: The, not "O" rings, rings, so I did what any upset shade tree would do... buy a freaking gasket set from auto parts store for that stupid little, not "O" ring.. ring thingy.

I laugh now.. HAHAHAHAHAHAH. All better now.

Edited by Indrid cold

Hey Soobienewbie...

I live close but not a turbo man so not sure I can be much good for you and sounds like youre good on your own except the stupid learning curve when diving into new territory. I feel your pain. On my first major repair I went to our local Subaru dealer in Pasco for parts and remembered about the not "O" rings seal and asked for a couple.. they did a search and swore that there weren't any in my EA-82... remembering the coments from others I pressed on.. "double, double check".. "no sir"-the dealer confirmed.. not in a EA-82 non-Turbo. So on a Sat. morn when dealer was closed and Felpro head gasket in hand I tore in after the head gasket and sure enough as I was taking cam-towers off Sat. morn.. :banghead: The, not "O" rings, rings, so I did what any upset shade tree would do... buy a freaking gasket set from auto parts store for that stupid little, not "O" ring.. ring thingy.

I laugh now.. HAHAHAHAHAHAH. All better now.

holy ************, freaking awesome to hear from someone that close. for all i know your right down the street. anyway, i had bought a full gasket kit online and in the kit i did find the o-rings that i need for said application, but they werent like the ones pictured on page one. im pretty sure they are working fine, i bet the HLA's are probably just dead.

GD, as i searched i noticed you posted about solid lifters. i would like to look into this if your willing to give me the info. if not, i guess i'll just let my grandpa buy me new lifters, then i will buy a new oil pump. but, i have replaced every single o-ring and gasket in the whole entire engine, cause like i said i bought a full gasket kit. the clacking is the only thing stumping me.

oh, GD, like i mentioned, a few of the HLA's have broken retainers that hold them togther. (holds the part in that presses down) so, i had another engine that had good HLA's that operated correctly when pressed down by hand, so i replaced the broken ones with the good ones. was that a bad idea??? from what i read in another thread, the HLA's where in the.... what the frick are those things called that the camshaft strikes agianst, i keep forgetting. but anyway. maybe that was a problem? i really dont know.

I have only theorized about solid lifters on the EA82..... I could make a set but as far as I know no such thing was ever done by Subaru. It would be a real pain in the rump roast to set them - you would have to dissasemble and reassemble the cam tower multiple times to set them up and then there wouldn't be any adjustability unless it was dissasembled again..... but then the EJ25D and later DOHC EJ's use setup a bit like that. I would only consider doing it on a fully rebuilt head with new valves and seats, etc.

I no longer own any EA82's (turbo or otherwise) from which to work on such a project..... I likely do not have the time unless someone wanted to drop money on me and parts with which to build them. It would be an experiment at best.....

The HLA's on the EA82's are troublesome but it's far from the worst problem they have. Get your's rebuilt by Mizpah, replace the oil pump, mickey-mouse seal, cam tower o-rings, and the relief valve springs. Insure there are no leaks around the pickup tube as well - that can cause aeration of the oil and you will never get them to shut up.

As for changing out some of the lifters - it's not ideal but it shouldn't cause any real issues. Last one of these I worked on I got a set of 8 (actually 9) ER27 lifters from a board member, sent them to Mizpah, and installed them along with all new seals and a new oil pump. The ticking is gone as expected.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

alright, its settled then. im going to send them in and have them rebuilt and make sure i replace those o-rings with the ones that were recommended. i really dont see any reason to replace to replace the oil pump, i hooked a manual oil pressure gauge up and im getting around 54-55 psi at idle (put also im idling at 1500 RPM, please read my RPM issue thread, im still having problems)