Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Numbah One Son is driving our 2006 Outback on the mainland, right now in Spokane. He reports that the low beams (both side) are out. The fogs come on correctly and are substituting for low beams, the high beams are working. He is NOT a Subaru (or even generally, car) person, so is taking it to the Stealership.

Need ideas quick so he doesn't:

1. Make a needless trip.

2. If he must, doesn't go in blind.

PM me if you can so I know that there is maybe a solution before he goes to get MY credit card raped.

We don't know what 'it' is. It's not bulbs, since both went out at the same time. If it was bulbs, he could handle that.

Could be something as simple as a blown fuse (I don't know, the car and manual are on the mainland, I'm in Hawaii) $2.00 fix, or a bad stalk cluster $500.00 fix.

I don't want my non-car-guy son getting fleeced by a stealership if I can help it, 'specially not on MY credit card!

Chances are the bulbs are burned out. He may have been running on just one for a while and then it burned out. The fuses are ok since the highs are working and share the same fuse. The other possible trouble could be with the swich.

Edited by Cougar

Before he gets too excited, check the bulbs. The most common, simple solution is probably the correct one. He might have not noticed one is out until the 2nd one failed.

If both failed together, a likely cause is a faulty alternator putting out too much voltage which could make both bulbs fail in very short order. An alternator with a bad voltage regulator and putting out more than 16V will fry the bulbs pretty quickly. I've had that problem twice over the years on two of our numerous Subarus and both times replacing the alternator (and the bulbs of course) fixed the problem. Any good auto parts shop would check the alternator output and Spokane has two excellent autowreckers (one a pull a part yard) and he might luck out with getting a used alternator if he needs one.

As far as I know, the headlight circuit is not fused on the earlier models (all that I have experience with); I suspect it's the same on a 2006 model.

And it's pretty early to have a headlight relay fail (I've never had to replace a headlight relay in a Subaru; even after 200K miles).

2nd edit: I checked the wiring for our '99 Forester in the Factory Service Manual and found the headlight circuit IS fused (sorry for the misinformation on my part). However, there are separate fuses for the right and the left side. Since both high beams still work, that means both fuses are okay. I still think both bulbs are burned out.

Edited by edrach

I must say, I have never seen a light circuit that isn't fused. You can imagine what would happen if the light circuit ever got shorted to ground without a fuse in line to protect the wiring.

In my younger years I installed a set of driving lights on a 69 Chevy and wired then directly into the floor foot switch for the low/high beams (remember them?).

When I switched on the driving lights they drew power from the low beams and the headlight relay went crazy throwing them on and off at a fast rate until it just stopped and stayed open. No fuse to blow out in that circuit. Once off the low beams went back on.

Start with the obvious..........replace one head light, and see if the new bulb yields both low and high beam, if so............replace second head light. Don't have your son touch the glass envelope of the bulb. Skin contact yields small amount of oil, which causes bulb to over heat and burn out early. If touched, clean off with rubbing alcohol.

Hard to believe that the alternator is responsible for this. If so, there would be other electrical problems with the car.

Hard to believe that the alternator is responsible for this. If so, there would be other electrical problems with the car.

Trust me, I've had personal experience with a bad voltage regulator. Took out both low beams together and I replaced the alternator before any other damage occurred.

Did your son report that both headlights failed at the same time? I agree with a previous poster that there was likely one out when the second headlight quit. If you do not notice the first failure, the second sure gets your attention.

Quite a long time ago I had Nissan 300ZX. I was the original owner of the car and driving one evening and both headlights failed within 20 minutes of one another - they were the original headlights. I had to limp home at VERY reduced speeds because the fog lights just did not cut it to light up the road.

Try replacing a bulb first. If the replacement works, do the second.

Steve

Thanks to all, Haven't heard back so don't know. Told Kalani to do as recommended. Change out the passenger side (the easy one), and check. If the low beam works change the other one. If not, bigger problems.

Either way don't touch the glass (he knows that).

Car has never been wrecked; our next door neighbor bought it new, then they had another kid and needed a bigger car, so we bought it when it was nne months old, and had about 15K on it (Montana racks up miles fast). Got about 79K now. Never had a problem afore, so I'm thinking bulbs. We drove to Taxas and back from the PNW last summer, so we could have lost a bulb and didn't notice on the highway. Since then the car has been in inside storage, except being driven a few times by my daughter in the daytime. The lights are on then, but no one would have noticed if the other bulb failed.

i also say its very likely to be the bulbs.

in fact, over on NHTSA there are MANY complaints from newer Subaru owners, of the bulbs lasting a premature life on the newer ones, of which this is considered. For sure, there are NUMEROUS problems with the bulbs going out on that pos style light and the proof is in the high numbers of complaints, enough that Subaru should but won't issue a full recall.

oops just read that it was the bulbs...i was on page 1 when i replied didnt see your post on page 2.

Edited by bheinen74