Ultimate Subaru Message Board

85 Brat leaking front diff seals

A local Subaru mechanic told me to be sure and check the front diff for proper fluid level. He said that excessive heat from the exhaust constantly bakes the diff seals and causes them to leak. And if left unchecked fluid level will be really low, and I could lose the front diff.

Well, the fluid level was barely on the stick. I refilled the fluid to the proper level, and when I drove the Brat, fluid POURED from the diff seals.

I drained the diff and refilled with straight Lucas and the leak stopped for now.

So I guess I am gonna be replacing the front diff seals soon, but in searching the website, that sounds like a risky job, due to obtaining proper clearance.

What would you guys do?

Thanks,

Tony P

yeah replace the seals. sounds like you're already on it and found some info. follow the directions posted here. do one at a time and count the number of turns and reinstall the retainers exactly the same number of turns and the same spot - this retains the clearance.

set up properly, give yourself time, work slow and you should be good.

i'd get that lucas out of there and get some diff fluid in a.s.a.p. just my personal preference.