Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Were all the early outbacks two tone in color? I am looking a one from 1996 that is advertised as a Outback but it is all one color and owner says its a outback with original one color? This does not see right? Were all the early outback wagons two tone? Also 1996 Outback automatic was the first year for the 2.5 right? The 96 outback 5 speed was the last of the outback ej2.2? Thanks

HA HA, Seller insists his car is a outback via email, his picture was no Outback! His add is no longer up!l?? He insists I have no idea what I am talking about!!?? Thanks to my involvement here on the USMB I think I might be starting to know a little bout what Im talking about! LOL Thanks for all you guys input this board ROCKS!!!

Well I did strait for sale search and came up with the add! SO what is your opinion? I dont think its a Outback LOL but at the price still might not be too bad? I thinking he is just wrong and its actually a legacy with the ej22? Anyway Im done inquireing with this one would be interesting to get a vin and run a check. Its been up off and on for weeks now!? Peace out PS for whatever reason I dont know I try to paste the add and it comes up his email so if ya want to see the add go to Richmond Va craigslist under all for sale search subaru and it should come up 1996 subaru legacy Outback. ANYWAY Peace out Jay

Edited by jazzmandolin

I've seen that one. Still a good price for a Legacy Wagon, assuming there is nothing major wrong with it. Might be why it's still there?

Needs 2 tires is not a phrase you want to hear from a subaru owner. :-p I've bee looking for a wagon pretty hard lately. I might send him an email about it and see what info I can get out of him.

Got a trade in at work that I might get depending on what they want for it. It has lots of miles at 231k, and at least two bad wheel bearings, but it seems to run OK if you don't mind the smell of coolant and oil burning off the engine. :-p

Right on, would be interested in whatever feed back you get form the guy if you decide to inquire? If it was a 5 speed I would push the subject a little more but not for the auto will keep looking for my ej22 5 speed with working cruise and ac! So far not real easy to find!

below are some partial vin# from some subarus and an explanation of each positions meaning, 95 - 99. notice that the 5th character changes depending on the model. i assume there is something similar for later model cars. i don't remember where i pull this from and i was never clear on the ''engine'' indicator but it may be helpful when looking at an ''outback'' that is all one color. (by the way, i don't think subaru offer any legacy / impreza in ''all gray'' in 96. check www.cars101.com for more color info.)

4S3B D6358 S72xxxxx = 95 LEGACY L SEDAN

4S3B K4357 T73xxxxx = 96 LEGACY L WAGON

4S3B K6756 V76xxxxx = 97 LEGACY 2.5 GT

4S3B G6854 V76xxxxx = 97 OUTBACK LTD

4S3B G6854 V76xxxxx = 97 OUTBACK

Position ...............description

1-3.......................4S3 = MANUFACTURING PLANT / COUNTRY

4............................B = LEGACY, G = IMPREZA, S = FORESTER

5...........................G = OUTBACK WAGON, K LEGACY WAGON, D or E = LEGACY SEDAN

6..........................4 = 2.2L ENGINE, 6 = 2.2 or 2.5L ENGINE (year sensitive), 2 = 1.8L FWD, 3 = 3.0L

7..........................8 = OUTBACK, 3 = L, 5 = LS, 6 = LSi, 7 = GT, 9 = POSTAL, 1 = BASE, 2 = BRIGHTON

8.........................5 = MAN BELTS & DUAL FRONT AIR BAGS, 2 = AUTO BELTS, 6 or C = SIDE BAGS

9.........................CHECK DIGIT

10........................MODEL YEAR: S=95, T=96, V=97, W=98, X=99

11.......................7 = AWD / US 4EAT, 6 = AWD / US 5MT, C = FWD / JAP 4EAT, G = AWD / 5MT JAP

12-17................Sequential production number

Edited by johnceggleston