Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Changing cam and crank seals 96 Legacy 2.2

Get Ultra Grey. It seems to be the choice of the board and what I use.

That is the Lisle tool that I use when I an find it. I believe it comes with 2 pieces (interchangable) that goes into the seal. Hard to tell but if you look close in the pic there is a little kinda lip on the end and that's how it bites.

I did many with a pick or screwdriver before obtaining the tool. But nothing would be worse than marking the crank due to having the wrong tool.

Ultra grey RTV is $6.50ish.

The Anaerobic lasts forever though. You hardly use any. Where are you seeing it for $20 though? Advance carries it for $13.

I did many with a pick or screwdriver before obtaining the tool. But nothing would be worse than marking the crank due to having the wrong tool.

Yeah that's what I d like to avoid. I have one of the large pick seal pullers with the straight handle, but I need one that will fit into an area with limited access. Can't fit a 12" handle between a cylinder head that's only 3" from a strut tower. (stupid toyota)

Edited by Fairtax4me

It was Napa that had the Anarobic red stuff for $20 a tube. I'll go to Advanced tomorrow and either get that or Ultra Grey. Thanks again for the suggestions. I'll be back with more of what happens. The good news is the valve covers don't seem to be leaking so I guess I can return those gaskets.

• 2 weeks later...
Dave, I ordered that puller from ToolTopia.com and it worked like a charm. Good, solid construction, and the hook provides a very positive grip on the seal when pulling. Best $13 I've spent in a long time! :D

Yea. Not only does it make it easier but little chance of damage.

I couldn't believe I had waited so long to get one.

Glad you thought it was worthwhile.