Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So I have first shot at this Legacy (according to the guy whos selling it)

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/cto/2171815305.html

$300... With an aftermarket stereo, looks clean, has different colored hood, but thats no big deal. 167k miles and has this issue:

Starts and shakes (motor does)

Will drive but shakes, especially when stopped at lights.

Motor dies.

He didnt say whether it will start right up afterwards.

Gonna try and limp it about 5 miles home.

My question: What is this? Valve adjustment needed? Timing is off...? What could it be? And how much am I looking to go into it. I figure with the low miles, and what other people sell them for, probably 1400-1600 here in Portland, and if I make only $500 thats fine with me, I will be able to put more money on my Daily driver.

I would start with new spark plugs first, or at least pulling the plugs to see how clean they are. With the 2.2 motor, it is not difficult pulling plugs. It sounds like it may only be running or 2 or 3 cylinders. If plugs don't fix, then plug wires. That is just for "starts."

it does sound like it is missing. i forget how, but i would read the codes. does it have a CEL?

is there black gunk in the radiator overflow? ej22 don't blow head gaskets very often, but it can happen and the cost of parts plus your time will eat in to your profit if selling it. any internal engine problems will.

but timing and tune up will probably put it back on the road. but as you say, there will be other stuff, axles?, tires?, clutch?

but 300$ is cheap.

good luck.

If you buy it, I would suggest having it towed to a shop, or to your home. It is not worth having a break down, or stalling out and blocking traffic on your 5 mile drive. You don't want to be talking to the cops regarding blocking traffic, and being a road hazard, when the title is not yet in your name, and you have no insurance on the car. If all wheel drive, make sure that the car is "flat bed" towed, not towed with two wheels still on the pavement. Flat bedding prevents damage to the all wheel dive.

Good luck!

The fact it runs strong yet has this stumble may be associated with the small hoses around the EGR. Locate the EGR valve which is close to the master cyl. It faces backward and what is ahead is the transducer. Underneath that Jiz is a solenoid valve with little hoses which can be brushed off or fall off and cause these problems.

Thank you so much for the responses.

These seem like easy fixes! I will look at the radiator overflow because I dont want to learn headgaskets yet.

From what I know, it should restart, but I have to wait until Wednesday to pick it up since hes outta down. Im allowed to go look at it, but the car is locked :(

BUY IT!!! I got my '91 Legacy wagon after her previous owner had given up on her and dropped her (and her title) off at my old shop after being diagnosed as a candidate for an engine replacement (not a single drop came out when I pulled that drain-plug). not knowing a thing about Subie's, I got her back on the road (hooray for pull-and-pay's) and she's my DD now. A Haynes & Chilton manual in addition to forums like this and legacycentral will give you pretty much all the help a guy could ask for. Now go get that car!

I would buy it as well! I picked up my 92 legacy wagon AWD for $650 because the last owner didn't want to put a door on it, and it needed and alternator. I got both used for free! The car has been bullet proof! One of the best cars I have ever owned!

Im thinking I will get it.

Could just be spark plugs and the coil pack.

Sad thing is, he says hes received 20 - 30 emails on it, so if anyone is willing to raise their offers.

I told him my offer was his asking price $300 cash. No more no less.. Not going to play the "oh craigslist is now an auction site" game.

When you look at it, check all the connections, EG: spark plug wires, fuel injector wires, TPS wire, etc.

Check out spark on all 4 plugs.

If they all have spark, try starting it with a spark plug wire off one cylinder, rotating cylinders until the condition doesn't change.

Follow the recommendation to check the condition of the coolant.

If the coolant checks out ok and you are able to locate the dead cylinder, I recommend you buy it.

It is most likely a dead fuel injector in that scenario.

They can be had at the JY fairly cheap.

You need to match colors of injectors for the ecu to stay happy.

This should fix your issue as long as nothing else is going on.

Twitch