Ultimate Subaru Message Board

a re-introduction (pics)

hello , i am curtis i live in south carolina. i have been a member here for a while but seldom post. i mostly "lurk" and use the search button. i drive a 97 legacy outback. thanks to this site and haynes, i have successfully replaced headgaskets on my ej25 (imagine that , huh) , removed and cleaned the IACV, and have done a ton of routine maintenance. through time i've become quite a good Subaru mechanic.:headbang: i am now in the process of making her offroad capable. i have already fabbed up and installed a pushbar , put offroad lights on and am in the process of making a 4" lift kit , that i am going to install within the next month. look forward to talking to all of you. Curtis

thanks to this site and haynes, i have successfully replaced headgaskets on my ej25 (imagine that , huh) ,

Nice job! The information on this site is amazing and can be a little much at times, but it sounds like you have accomplished one good task! How many miles are on the new gaskets, what brand were they? I'm more of a lurker myself, thats about 10 posts per year. The most I've done to these cars are motor swaps and driveline repair, but there are 3 motors sitting around that need head gaskets and plenty of other projects so I might be able to share a few stories later on. How long have you had your car for?

there's about 8000 miles on the gaskets now. i did them in april. they were actually fel pro gaskets , even though i was told to go oem on them. i did go with a new oem rad cap and an oem t'stat when i did the head job. i am wondering however why my car is a 97 but the coil i had to buy for it was actually listed as a 96. the coil that comes from auto zone , advanced auto and napa for a 97 were nothing like mine. but i figured it out.