Ultimate Subaru Message Board

any tips on replacing speed-o cable

HGJ

it has been making noise ever since we bought it..i tried to pull speed-o housing to look at it..to no avail. seems like im missing something.

any ways it stopped reading speed, and is now making a really loud noise.

need to replace cable. any links to diy?

thanks for the help.

remove from the trans and the cable will actually pull out of the sheath then you can attempt to re-oil it if you think the cable is still okay. this way might also get lucky and you can do it without actually removing the cable from behind the speedo.

*** i've always removed it, so i don't know if the pull it from the sheath method would work but i'm trying it next time if there is a next time.

to remove the entire thing move your seat all the way back so you can stand on your head and reach up behind the dash to pull the cable out. just reach up there and yank it out. the reinstalling part is the harder part of the deal, getting it to line up and seat without being able to see.

Topic and post both say "cable" and "need to replace cable" in your post, but then you say "cluster side", not sure what you're trying to do.

Clarify what you're trying to do exactly and also vehicle information.

Cluster doesn't have to come out to replace cable and the cable doesn't have to come out to replace the cluster - they just have to be disconnected, not removed either way.

It could be the speedo head itself - the "making noise" part doesn't really agree with what I have seen of cable failures.

If it's the cable it's likely that it is/was kinked at the speedo head and has broken right there. That's often the case and if that happened you may have to remove the cluster in order to get at the broken peice of the cable.

Make sure that the new cable isn't kinked at the speedo end. You have to pull the slack in the cable through to the engine bay or it will fold over at the head when you install the cluster.

GD

maybe the cable pulled out of the back of the cluster, and the spinning shaft is rubbing against it.

It is possible to pull the cable out and not know it when servicing heater hoses or anything else in that area, you would only have to pull the cable an inch to pop it out.

You can inspect the cable by removing the instrument cluster bezel, and the section of dashboard behind it pulls up, and from there, you should be able to access the cable. This is easiest to do with your arms in the window while you view from outside the windshield, unless you can cram your head in there.

Topic and post both say "cable" and "need to replace cable" in your post, but then you say "cluster side", not sure what you're trying to do.

Clarify what you're trying to do exactly and also vehicle information.

Cluster doesn't have to come out to replace cable and the cable doesn't have to come out to replace the cluster - they just have to be disconnected, not removed either way.

it is a 82 brat. cluster makes noise, now dosnt work. not sure exactly where problem is. looking for in put on both. last statement helps abunch..thanks again

It could be the speedo head itself - the "making noise" part doesn't really agree with what I have seen of cable failures.

If it's the cable it's likely that it is/was kinked at the speedo head and has broken right there. That's often the case and if that happened you may have to remove the cluster in order to get at the broken peice of the cable.

Make sure that the new cable isn't kinked at the speedo end. You have to pull the slack in the cable through to the engine bay or it will fold over at the head when you install the cluster.

GD

makes sense, its possibly the cluster it self. Thanks

maybe the cable pulled out of the back of the cluster, and the spinning shaft is rubbing against it.

It is possible to pull the cable out and not know it when servicing heater hoses or anything else in that area, you would only have to pull the cable an inch to pop it out.

You can inspect the cable by removing the instrument cluster bezel, and the section of dashboard behind it pulls up, and from there, you should be able to access the cable. This is easiest to do with your arms in the window while you view from outside the windshield, unless you can cram your head in there.

i will try this. thank you also.

i had the entire dash apart, and all the screws out of cluster. it still seed that something was holding it back. i didnt want to break it. but i probably need to be more assertive...and just do it, being cautious

i had it apart..trying to fix blinkers.. i actually rebuilt switch, well pulled apart cleaned contacts, stretched spring and put back together. it worked.