Ultimate Subaru Message Board

trans codes - why can't I pull them?

We have a '98 OUtback AT.

About once a month we'll get the 16 AT Oil Temp flashes at startup. I've been through the service manual and tried the procedure there to get the trans status code to no avail. Then I've searched all around the forums and tried the secret handshake, also to no avail... This is driving me nuts. Help!

Our car exhibits two symptoms:

1) It ALWAYS drives normal until the car warms up.

2) Usually after warming up it will granny shift at 2500rpm regardless of throttle position, and won't downshift while driving unless you use the shift lever. Stoplights it apparently goes back to 1st, then repeats the granny shifting...

or

3) It will shift with great shock between 1st and 2nd, then rev 3rd super high and slam in to that gear too. The shock from 1st to second is enough to give back pain. This happens much more rarely than #2.

I've been up and down the service manual to no avail. I can't get the codes for the life of me. I tried the various tests such as the stall test and others and all checked out fine.

Help me get the codes! Can I even pull them if the light only flashes 16 times once a month and won't do it on next restart?

We have a '98 OUtback AT.

About once a month we'll get the 16 AT Oil Temp flashes at startup. I've been through the service manual and tried the procedure there to get the trans status code to no avail. Then I've searched all around the forums and tried the secret handshake, also to no avail... This is driving me nuts. Help!

the 16 flashes indicates there was an electrical fault in the trans the last time you drove the car. reading the code is the correct thing to do. you may have to do it before you turn the car off when the AT TEMP light was flashing, i don't know.

link below has good info for how to read codes and a link to more info in a different thread.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=115865&highlight=read*+trans*code*+connector

Trouble Codes - obd2

Trouble code retrieval is similar to previous models, except for grounding terminal # 5 of connector B82 a 6 pole black, right side of steering column. Trouble codes will be displayed through AT Temp light with the following differences. There are 14 possible trouble codes communicated from the TCU.

given your symptoms i would guess you have a failed solenoid in the trans, maybe more than one. something is wrong.

if you still have trouble you can always take it to a dealer or subaru shop for help.

below is a link to a page with field service manuals you can download. the 97 is easier to search / read than the 99, it has better labels. there should be a section on trans troubleshooting or something similar.

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/subaru_manual_scans/

Edited by johnceggleston

Welcome.

Sounds like one problem is the resistor that softens shifts may be open. It is under the battery I do beleive, but I may be wrong. The manual will tell you where it is.

How to pull codes

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=81497&highlight=Transmission+codes

But if i had to gues, it sounds like it may be the MAP sensor or the throttle postion sensor as they both help the tranny know when to shift.

Subarus shift hard naturally, especially the 1-2 shift, thats why the trannies last the life of the car.

found this list of codes.

Code Item

11 Duty solenoid A

12 Duty solenoid B

13 Shift solenoid 3

14 Shift solenoid 2

15 Shift solenoid 1

21 ATF temp sensor

22 Atmospheric sensor

23 Engine revolution signal

24 Duty solenoid C

25 Engine torque control signal

31 Throttle sensor

32 Vehicle speed sensor 1

33 Vehicle speed sensor 2

for the odb2 cars the grounding of pin #5 on connector b82 is required to read the codes. but having never done it i don't know if this is instead of or in addition to the "handshake". i assumed it was instead of but i don't know.

any one know for sure?

Very good to know, thanks all, I hadn't seen the B82 pin #5 portion before. So it looks like I need to ground that connecter, and then do the drive, stop, go in reverse, floor it, turn my blinker on, flash the headlights, and pop the cigarette lighter action to get the code?

The pdf was also very informative. My time lag test and stall test are perfect. Reading the pdf makes me remember why I suspect the TPS... I need to get the code...

From the pdf:

If a speed sensor fails, the remaining sensor signal will be used.

- Seem good here

In case of throttle sensor failure, the idle contacts will signal the throttle opening. Line pressure will go to maximum at open throttle and it will go to minimum at closed throttle.

- Granny shifting at 2500rpm doesn't seem to fit this, the very hard shifts do. But full failure would throw lights and I rarely get them.

Therefore, an inhibitor switch failure has no effect. If multiple signals are seen in the forward ranges the inhibitor switch is ignored and there is no fourth gear.

- Good there

If shift solenoids #1 or #2 malfunction, the TCU deactivates the other. This

results in either 3rd gear or Reverse (when selected).

- No problems there either

If duty solenoid “A” fails, line pressure goes to maximum.

- This would be the case for the hard shifts, but not the granny shifting.

If duty solenoid “B” fails, the torque converter lock-up will not occur.

- Good here

If shift solenoid #3 malfunctions, the overrunning clutch is always “ON” and

there will be engine braking during deceleration.

- Good here

If duty solenoid “C” should fail, the AWD control will be set to maximum and

the rear wheels will always be powered.

- I have no torque bind.

I got this from the '98 service manual...

TROUBLE SYMPTOM:

Shift point too high or too low; engine brake not effected in “3” range: excessive shift shock; excessive tight corner “braking”.

And it makes sense that it doesn't downshift regardless of throttle position. The intermittent nature of the problem is making troubleshooting problematic though...

As far as erroneous shift patterns, the General Diagnostic Table only lists a few problem children:

Shift characteristics are erroneous.

1) Inhibitor switch

2) Control module

3) Vehicle speed sensor 1

4) Vehicle speed sensor 2

5) Throttle position sensor

6) Control valve

When you add in the very rare non-shifting, there are only two things common...

No shift occurs from 2nd to 3rd gear.

1) Control module

2) Control valve

3) High clutch

4) One-way clutch (3-4)