Ultimate Subaru Message Board

solution for leaking PS pumps

with the help of GD i have taken care of my puking power steering pump. just wanted to share the solution with you all.

these kits are out of stock at most vendors so i had to wait a bit for it to arrive but it's worth the wait. this specific kit is for 95-99 legacys.

http://www.amazon.com/Edelmann-8832-Power-Steering-Pump/dp/B001KOZ1C2

after getting it apart we ran over to napa and picked up an "alternator bearing" to really do it up right.

http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail.aspx?R=PGBP62032RSJ_0006379889

grand total: $21.99 and my power steering pump is now bone dry.

Edited by afterbang

remove the entire pump with bracket. put it in a vice and disassemble the pump from the bracket and remove pulley. Take the back cover off and then it's pretty self-explanatory where the seals go. Knock the spindle out to replace the bearing and main seal.

Almost every PS pump made from '95 to '99 (and sometimes even the 90 to 94 pumps) leak as they age. This is VERY common and until this reseal kit arrived on the market (this appears to be a recent development) the only alternative was a new pump (over $200) or to attempt a reseal by matching up the o-rings and lip seal, new bearing, and then resealing the rear cover with one of the gasket sealer products - I used loctite 518 for a few of them and it worked out ok.

Also - if you have an older pump (90 to 94) then this kit will likely still work but the front bearing will be a 6202-2RS instead of the 6203-2RS of the later pump's. NAPA sells these as "Alternator Bearings" - they are just a simple 6k series sealed ball bearing and will work for many applications including the PS pump's and the AC idler pulley's on EJ's... etc.

When dissasembling the pump be VERY careful of the rotor and all it's tiny little vanes. If you are careful they won't fall out but if you aren't they will slide out and be everywhere. There's about a dozen of them and they are slippery and tiny. Do your dissasembly on a clean work area with clean hands so you don't contaminate the pump with junk. I have had them apart a number of times so I knew what to expect. Works slowely and carefully if you don't know what's in there.

Oh - and Rockauto has the same kit for ~$15. Amazon is nice for free shipping if you order something else or two of them, etc. But I ordered 3 from Rockauto just now and with their price it worked out to $16.58 each after shipping and 5% discount code. Still a slightly better deal for those of us that need volume....

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Good info!

GD have you done any of the 90-94 pumps?? or no? had to replace mine not too long ago (dropped in a used one i had on hand) but would be nice to be able to rebuild the old one to have ready - just in case - been hearing some funny noises again from time to time...

Good info! GD have you done any of the 90-94 pumps?? or no?

I have torn one down because it was making the "ghost turbo" noise. The front bearing is a 6202 instead of the 6203 of the later pump. I beleive they use a different lip seal on the front as well so you might have to source that seperately. The rest of the seals should work.

I would source a '95 to '99 pump and bracket (new pump is too wide by about 3/8" to fit the old bracket) and just use that instead. If you also get the lines for a '95 to '98 EJ22E it should bolt right in. And then it can be resealed with one of those kits. Should make for a much cheaper and more effective repair than throwing used pumps at it all the time or buying a new one from the stealership.

GD

Not a bad deal for somebody who doesn't have access to good used ones.

I just walk the local EZ pull yard till I find a non leaker and grab it. They only get $12 for them there.

I get them delivered for 20-30 bucks (I forget).

Dealer kit was more expensive than a good used pump.

Next need, if I have the time I may try one of these kits. I've got about 6 pumps here that need fixed. Infact if anyone is local and wants to fix theirs ahead of time (in essence rebuild one of my extra's) PM me. I had just started throwing them out - leakers aren't hard to come by. And none of mine have been the simple Oring on the reservoir. It's the big metal gasket.

Thanks for the offer.

Let me know.

I actually have relatives near Columbus. Neither of us travels to the other one's place often (older aunt & uncle - probably in their 90's).

I have no current need. And haven't "redone" a Subaru in over a year.

But if these kits work it would be good to know.

I have some of those alternators that were bad new as well. Probably part of the reason I got the cars cheap. "Global" I believe is another crappy alternator rebuild.

I've got a bucket of WP's as well. I always replace them when doing a TB - why not since I do the idlers and all.

I've also got pushing a dozen DOHC 2.5's here. Some complete, most nearly complete. All ran, mostly HG issues (hard to believe!) and not knowing their history (thinking rod bearings) I just 2.2'd the cars. When the weather breaks just a little I'll have to check out scrap prices. I've got 3 cars and a lot of these Suby engines to scrap. I don't fix 2.5's much. Been lazy about selling parts. Also lots of alternators, starters, and leaky PS pumps. I happen to have a few 97 starters - which ARE different - stupid!

If anyone wants to stop in and get a leaky PS pump to experiment with I should have several - PM me.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Has anyone tried that Stop Leak fluid? I used that in my old Saab and it worked very well. Just curious if it works for Subes too.

I'm by no means a pro, totally a treeshader... did try it, didn't work. Lucas did refund me the money.

I ended up taking the thing apart, and ran some of the instant liquid gasket on both sides of the metal gasket, torqued to whatever specs the manual listed for it. Also put the same instant black liq gasket in place of the o-ring at the base. 1+years later no leaks.

The instant liquid gasket, don't remember exactly what it's called, but it's the one that comes in a pressurized can type of dispenser.

mine never leaked on my 93 leagacy 2.2. but the bearing went bad. i drove the shaft out of the bearing. i then went to find a kit. all the lits i were finding said it wasnt right for mine. i think. anyway. so i went on a bearing search. the parts stores couldnt get the correct bearing. when they did find it. it was higher than the kit. actually that may have been why i didnt buy the kit. i figured the kit was cheaper than the bearing by itself. so anyway i eneded up buying a used pump from the junkyard. it was from a 95. the bracket is narrower on the 93 than the 95. so i had to go back and get the bracket. i ended up paying 10.00 for the pump and got the bracket for free when i went back. i did find out that the bearing may also be used as a alternator bearing. but i didnt confirm that. it is a sealed bearing. it stops the fluid from leaking out the front shaft area.

mine never leaked on my 93 leagacy 2.2. but the bearing went bad. i drove the shaft out of the bearing. i then went to find a kit. all the lits i were finding said it wasnt right for mine. i think. anyway. so i went on a bearing search. the parts stores couldnt get the correct bearing. when they did find it. it was higher than the kit. actually that may have been why i didnt buy the kit. i figured the kit was cheaper than the bearing by itself. so anyway i eneded up buying a used pump from the junkyard. it was from a 95. the bracket is narrower on the 93 than the 95. so i had to go back and get the bracket. i ended up paying 10.00 for the pump and got the bracket for free when i went back. i did find out that the bearing may also be used as a alternator bearing. but i didnt confirm that. it is a sealed bearing. it stops the fluid from leaking out the front shaft area.

You don't shop at parts stores for bearings......:-\ The pump uses a 6202-2RS bearing (later pumps use a 6203). They are less than $5 from any bearing supplier. They are NOT included in the reseal kit anyway. NAPA does have them listed as alternator bearings (which is totally stupid because a 6k series bearing is just a bearing - fits millions of things) but the price is typically higher than a bearing supplier.

GD

yes you can get bearings from the parts store. ii said maybe the same number bearing in my 93 pump was also MAY BE used in an alternator. but i didnt waste the time to verify what i was told. my bearing is a 6202V. i still have it sitting right here all broken apart. but the number is correct. as far as them not being in the kits i saw for sale. the picture showed a bearing looking object. with one gasket and three orings. http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/PWR0/8832.oap?keyword=power+steering+pump+kit

i didnt want a reseal kit though.

the store tried to sell me a 6202f bearing. i think that was the number.

The bearing looking object in that kit is the lip seal for the pump shaft. The kits do not include bearings.

It is a sealed, pre-greased, 6202 bearing. The industry standard nomenclature for which is 6207-2RS. Anything other than that is manufacturer specific and thus not useful when ordering bearings.

GD

• 3 weeks later...