Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New seats for ea81 Dodge Caravan

I went down to the Pick-n-pull North today down on Columbia and spent some time measuring seats of all kinds to see what might make the closest to bolt in as possible. Found out that the dodge caravan ('96-'00) seats have the same spacing for the rails and are just darn comfy plus it has the armrests on the inside. As soon as I get the tax return I'm gonna pick up a set just to see how well they fit. Just in case nobody had thought of it I thought I'd share.

Also if anybody is looking for one there's an 81 wagon with the cyclops light that came in just a couple days ago.

once you get it striped down to just the bare seat I don't think it's much taller except for maybe just because cushions thicker. I'll have to check next time I'm down there. The other one I forgot to check was front to back to see how much leg room it would kill if any for the backseat.

Having owned that generation of Caravan, allow me to make a few comments.

First, they do NOT have an adjustable head rest, a problem for taller folks like me (6'1").

Second, the adjuster for the driver's side seat back got wonky toward the end of the van's life and would be very hard to get locked in an upright position.

Lastly, if you own a BRAT or a hatchback, rethink these seats. They were designed for a van and don't tilt forward much at all, meaning no rear seat access.

Just my two cents.

Flofit seats are the easiest and most comfortable seats to mount in a EA81 if you ask me. They are a direct bolt in. All you need to do is space them up off the stock EA81 rails 1/4" so that it clears the bottom of the seat.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/pts/2185943067.html

I have a pair of them in my coupe. They add about 3 inches of headroom and lots of adjust ability. Inflatable lumbar, adjustable headrest both up and forward and back, adjustable legrest as well. Very supportive and comfy on long drives. They are hard to find cheap since they were 800 dollar seats new but i got lucky and snagged a set DIRT DIRT cheap.

IMG_1535.jpg

Just minor fitting and I got 03 RS seats in my Brat. So I would imagine any Impreza seat, Forrester seat, WRX seat wouldn't be anymore trouble. RS and WRX are considered some of the best factory seats out there. Don't think I would haul a set out of a Caravan, but that is just me.,

Just minor fitting and I got 03 RS seats in my Brat. So I would imagine any Impreza seat, Forrester seat, WRX seat wouldn't be anymore trouble. RS and WRX are considered some of the best factory seats out there. Don't think I would haul a set out of a Caravan, but that is just me.,

I had those in my coupe before these as well (well 99 RS seats that is). While they are comfy they do not offer any adjust-ability other than forward and back and lean forward and lean back. For taller drivers its important to get lumbar support adjustment. just my 2 cents.

I've got '04 Forester seats in my Hatch. Required a LOT of modification to get them low enough for my liking. Lots of cutting, bending, and welding on the rail system to get them low and straight. They are still pretty tall for me (6'2") and my head is about 2" from the headliner. I figure I will eventually break down the foam a bit and sink in farther. Plus I may remove the headliner anyway :rolleyes:.

I do like that I sit higher in the seats and they are firm and grip me well. The height will give me better visibility off-road.

GD