Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I changed out the timing belt and now cannot for the llfe of me can not get the engine to start. Iam absolutly sure the timing belt is on correct. I have spark on all wires, have fuel also. I shot a microburst of starting fluid to see if the engine would start. No start. Cranks great. What to look for now? I'm stumped.:banghead:

Thanks for your input.

I have search for the answer and am unable to get the results I need.

The most common "no start" scenario when replacing timing belt on these engines is improper timing mark alignment. I have been sure I got mine right before and went back to find that I was a tooth off. Real easy to do on this DOHC design engine that the cams on the drivers side keep wanting to turn while you are putting the belt on as they are under tension.

Whenever I do a Subaru ej series timing belt now, I always try to start it before I put the front timing covers back on. I always put the main accessory drive pulley back on the crank and the bolt back in first before trying to start it. It makes it a lot easier to take back apart if needed, and you can turn the engine back to TDC and re-check timing mark alignment in case of a no-start. For the crank alignment, you did use the notch on the back of the crankshaft toothed pulley lined up with the notch at the bottom of the crank sensor for your crank line up, right? I have seem some try to line up a notch on the main accessory drive pulley with the 0 degree timing mark on the outside of the outer, center timing cover.

If your timing marks are right, check all of your sensor and other electrical connections. Sometimes these get disconnected while taking things apart and they get forgotten on re-assembly.

Good luck!

Added after reading above reply, the "crankshaft toothed pulley" I referred to is actually called "crank sprocket" in above diagram.

Edited by Ionlyhave3suubs
add reference to another reply