Ultimate Subaru Message Board

engine swap??

Hey I have a 1988 GL wagon. Its got 260K on it and is still runnin *knock on wood* but I'm lookin to lift it and put on some 28" tires so I would like to put a V6 in it so I can actually drive it. haha

Any suggestions about what engine to get and how to go about that? Any advice regarding the lift about how to get it for the cheapest amount?

thanks

you don't need more cylinders, just more power. probably want to consider an EJ22 swap: 140 hp instead of the EA82's 97.

ER27, EG33, and EZ30 (all 6 cylinders) have been done but it's more work and less room to work with. and those motors are typically much more expensive, except the ER27, but that's essentially just an EA82 with 2 more cylinders and only 145 hp - EJ22 is more modern and a better engine to work with.

of course it all requires wiring.

You get what you pay for.

And if you can't build your own lift - forget about a V6 install. You don't have the skills.

EJ22 swap is a good plan. Get a lift from SJR or PK (is he still doing them?). Those are your best solutions.

Pull your head out of the clouds and work with the skills you have and the reality of your budget. That means going with proven swaps and mods.

GD