Ultimate Subaru Message Board

86 GL-10 problems

Hi,

I recently got an 86 gl-10. I put 2000 miles on it no problem. Lately, it started this thing after it warms up it starts chugging. Violently sometimes. After a while it stalls. If I let it sit for a few it'll drive for a while before starting its chugging again. I've ruled out fuel pump/filters. Are there any other parts I might change? Gentle I'm a noob. Thanks.

This is a bit off the wall, but my '85 EA82T that had intermittent chugging/stalling. Sometimes it was great, other times it wasn't and would chug and stall once warm. Rolling into the throttle resulted in very non-linear acceleration too ... until the revs came up.

Measured AFM voltage while opening the flapper door and it would jump around quite a bit on its journey from 0 to 5v. It was mostly noisy in the lower end of the range where the flapper spends most of its time.

I took the AFM apart (dug into the electronic part by prying the plastic lid off) and used a cotton swab, a piece of paper, and some isopropyl alcohol to clean the wiper arm, carbon strip, and upper wiper arm contact (the fulcrum it pivots on is an electrical connection) and I got a lot of dust and carbon buildup (the strip wears) out of there. Car runs very very smooth now. AFM voltage is perfectly smooth as the flapper door opens.

If that turns out to be your problem, this page will be helpful:

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/elect-22.htm

Had an 85 XT turbo once. Similar problem. Problem in my case was a poor electrical connection. Look for a grounding wire on one of the intake manifold bolts, passenger side. Also have a good AFM for this model. Removed from an engine with 60k miles and stored for many years. $50 plus shipping if interested.

• 2 weeks later...