Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brat Died....

I was on my way to school and getting on the highway and the brat just quit on me. so I pulled over to the shoulder and got out and looked at the engine and there was oil everywhere, maybe a blown gasket i dont know. so we brought it back to the house via trailer and i tried to start it while my grandpa tried to find out the reason and he said that it is being shot out the carborator, so instead of the carb sucking it, its shooting it out through the carb.

We think it might be the timing gears.

anybody know anything about this?

i really want to save this car! I love it and will never sell it!

I just got done buying all the stuff for the 4 inch lift and now I have this problem, please help.

SJ

Pull the valve covers and check for proper valve operation. Timing gear failures are completely unheard of - very unlikely. Sounds like you have a stuck intake valve or serious ignition issues. Hard to say - you need to check stuff on your end.... "oil everywhere" and "blowing out the carb" are not descriptive enough for us to help you.

GD

Never say never,but the ea-81 timing gear arrangement is about as robust as you can get.Trouble here is unlikely.Check by seeing if the distributor rotor still aligns w/#1 position (or 180 degrees off) w/the flywheel timing mark aligned.

I`m thinking something more like a cracked piston or a head gasket leaking compression between cyl.Loose /broken valve guide.

Pull and inspect the plugs.Do a compression test if you are able.

Oil on the dipstick look OK?

Coolant?

Pull the valve covers and check for proper valve operation. Timing gear failures are completely unheard of - very unlikely. Sounds like you have a stuck intake valve or serious ignition issues. Hard to say - you need to check stuff on your end.... "oil everywhere" and "blowing out the carb" are not descriptive enough for us to help you.

GD

Im going to be taking off the valve covers tomorrow and we are going to look there first. but arnt i still looking at new heads and cam?

SJ

Never say never,but the ea-81 timing gear arrangement is about as robust as you can get.Trouble here is unlikely.Check by seeing if the distributor rotor still aligns w/#1 position (or 180 degrees off) w/the flywheel timing mark aligned.

I`m thinking something more like a cracked piston or a head gasket leaking compression between cyl.Loose /broken valve guide.

Pull and inspect the plugs.Do a compression test if you are able.

Oil on the dipstick look OK?

Coolant?

the spark plugs? im new to these engines but I feel like im about to learn a lot about them:D

oil looks good, we think the oil problem just happened at the same time because its been leaking oil since day one and I just got the oil pump gasket so I think what ever caused the engine to do what it did, blew the oil pump or gasket causing the oil problem.

SJ

if your PCV system isn't hooked up properly, and you put some hi-revving stresss on the engine, you can blow oil out the front crank seal, and it will spin it everywhere...can you get some "close-up" pics of your engine.

that might be the problem since I have to floor it to get on the highway.

I can not tonight but tomorrow. what specific parts of the engine do you need?

SJ

that might be the problem since I have to floor it to get on the highway.

I can not tonight but tomorrow. what specific parts of the engine do you need?

SJ

a shot from each side, showing the valve cover up to the carb, so we can see the hoses generally. and maybe a shot stright down from above the carb....

The oil pressure sensor is another suspect after reading about bad take off I learned mine was bad by it exploding on the highway on me oil everywhere

So i probably need to replace the oil pump and stuff and then see if it will run?

it wants to start but it cant...

SJ

Hard to see, but i think the valve cover breathers wrap around and go behind most of the engine on the back side.

That said, I do believe something is "hosed" in the way his hoses are hooked up. Somebody maybe messed up the install of this weber, I have seen that a many times on here who do not understand it.

If that is the case, then it can be fixed, but damage may have already occurred that is not reversible. Mainly low/high oil pressure damage to whatever.

Edited by bheinen74

oooh. on the passenger side, there's a breather filter. what's on the drivers side?

also, do you have a line of oil on the underside of your hood approximately lining up with the crank pully?

theres a hose going into the carb im pretty sure.

there was a oil line on the hood but I cleaned it.

so what do you guys think caused this or what happened, becasue it makes no sense for there to be alot of oil and it not starting. atleast to me it doesnt.

what damage could have been done? and how do I find out what damage is done?

SJ

Replacing the oil pump is a "too little, too late" kinda thing.... if it's ran out of so much oil that it will no longer start and run - the horse has left the barn kid. Replacing the oil pump will only result in a lighter wallet and a non-running (completely hosed) engine that has a shiny new part on it.

Your PCV setup is wrong. Do a search for the proper way to hook it up and fix it. You may have blown the front main seal right out of the engine with too much crankcase pressure - partially or completely due to your lack of a proper PCV system.

Verify fuel and spark. Then verify valve timing. Till you do those three things we cannot help you any further.

As to what damage could have been done - if you ran it out of oil..... you'll be looking for a new engine. You should drain what oil remains in the engine and check for metal.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

thats a problem there. it needs to be T'd in with the other side and pcv before it vents.

the breather on the pss side is okay. if the PCV valve,and the other valve cover are tied together, and vnted to the underside of the air cleaner late, it should be good...

I've only seen one instance where the drive gear on the distributor failed. you still should take the distributor cap off and put a 22mm socket on a long rathet, and put it on the crank pulley bolt and turn the engine by hand. if the rotor moves, then your timing gear s fine...

Replacing the oil pump is a "too little, too late" kinda thing.... if it's ran out of so much oil that it will no longer start and run - the horse has left the barn kid. Replacing the oil pump will only result in a lighter wallet and a non-running (completely hosed) engine that has a shiny new part on it.

Your PCV setup is wrong. Do a search for the proper way to hook it up and fix it. You may have blown the front main seal right out of the engine with too much crankcase pressure - partially or completely due to your lack of a proper PCV system.

Verify fuel and spark. Then verify valve timing. Till you do those three things we cannot help you any further.

As to what damage could have been done - if you ran it out of oil..... you'll be looking for a new engine. You should drain what oil remains in the engine and check for metal.

GD

the link in the USMB repair manual for the weber install doesnt work.

were else can I learn how to install it properly?

SJ

Found the Problem!

The cam shaft is completly broke off were is meets the distributor.

So now I hope my step dads friend can replace it. will have to pull it and basically rebuild it....

Guess the lift will have to wait for now along with everything else.

Ill start a build thread if I can.

SJ