Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brat Died....

So the disributor is not spinning? Does it still have the drive gear attached? Have you pulled out the disty and confirmed that it's not just a sheared roll pin or damaged gear?

This sounds like severe oil starvation. I don't know of any other way you would break a cam on an EA81. Never heard of this before......

GD

So the disributor is not spinning? Does it still have the drive gear attached? Have you pulled out the disty and confirmed that it's not just a sheared roll pin or damaged gear?

This sounds like severe oil starvation. I don't know of any other way you would break a cam on an EA81. Never heard of this before......

GD

we took the distributor out and shined a flashlight down the hole and the piece at the end of the hole( crank,cam, you probably know what it is) was moved so we stuck a screw driver down there to see if it was broken and it was, theres a piece of metal about the size of a small golf ball that moves freely.

what do you think?

SJ

Ok - your engine is shot it would appear. The distributor is driven directly off the crankshaft on the EA81's so something about your crank is broken. Sounds like oil starvation killed it.... somehow. That usually results in a thrown rod but in your case something else must have given out first.

Poor rebuild perhaps?

Find another engine. That one is toast.

GD

Ok - your engine is shot it would appear. The distributor is driven directly off the crankshaft on the EA81's so something about your crank is broken. Sounds like oil starvation killed it.... somehow. That usually results in a thrown rod but in your case something else must have given out first.

Poor rebuild perhaps?

Find another engine. That one is toast.

GD

Any ideas on where I can get one fast? And how much am I going to spend on a new one?

SJ

CCR wants $2240 for get that. That's a whole new brat!

Guess I'll look at pull-a-part. Will a ea82 work in my brat?

SJ

EA82 can be done, but for the amount of time, money and work involved, you'd be better off installing an EJ motor. More reliable and more HP. Check out the Subaru Retrofitting section for more info.

EA82 can be done, but for the amount of time, money and work involved, you'd be better off installing an EJ motor. More reliable and more HP. Check out the Subaru Retrofitting section for more info.
If you can't find a usable EA81 engine, the EJ upgrade would make more sense than an EA82 in the long run.

I saw an e81 in the arlington WA pull a part 2 weeks ago. I am going there on tue, to pull the starter off it if it is still there, private message me with your phone# if you want me to look for you. The car in the parts yard looked like so many other subarus in back lots on grandma's or uncle across our great land, looking like they were cared for once, but because of bad brakes, fried clutch, or crappy cv joint it's doomed to a wrecking yard. I bet with a pint of gas and a battery I could have got her on the road.:(

anyway, e81's should be easy to get. i think so anyway. Dann