Ultimate Subaru Message Board

how to grab the drive plate to TC bolts

I have a long Snap On box end wrench with a 10 on one side and 12 on the other. It's the best one I found for them, and I do these everyday...literally. There is no offset, It's prob about 1ft long. With those bolts it's all about the first hit to break them loose. I make sure I have a firm grip on it with the wrench and the hit it hard the first time.

Edit, for future reference, the drive plate you are talking about is called the flexplate :)

Edited by 94Loyale

1/4" ratchet and shallow socket work great for me. I put a ratchet on the crank bolt to counter my loosening/tightening force. Sometimes I slip a pipe over the 1/4" ratchet handle.

Nothing special. It helps to disconnect the TPS and IAC, etc and move the wiring as well as some of the PCV hoses.

Really not that big of a deal.

GD

I use a Gearwrench 1/4 "roto head" ratchet and a socket. I never could find a good box end with the offset that worked for me in my existing collection.

You'll need a cheater bar - they are tight at the start - don't hit yourself in the head when they break loose.

I stuff a rag in there incase I drop the bolt when removing and installing.

I use a shallow 6pt 3/8" drive socket and my fancy dancy flex head snapon ratchet. It's a finetooth one with a long handle, so with a breaker bar on the crank bolt and that ratchet, it works pretty well.

Just got through that with an auto to manual swap on a friends 2.2turbo. Zilch for access to those with the turbo on there.