Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Smoke screen

Any ideas on why when making a long righthand corner the engine (88 EA82, 200k) will ping and then a cloud of smoke is being discharged from my tailpipe? I'm not talking about a little puff but, a huge 2-3 lane wide, 150ft long monster.

Is it possible crank is pulling oil up past pistons into the combustion chamber or pressure relief valve is bad?

Anybody else have this problem?

Thanks

TSB

It's not the PCV valve - this was addressed in a breather hose upgrade kit that came out in the early '90s for the SPFI engines. It changes the porting of the PCV hoses on the intake boot.

Go to the dealer and get the kit that addreses the long, sweeping right hand turns issue. It is part #11813AA010. It's not real expensive ($30 to $40) as this was a kit for people that complained about the problem. I don't think it was an official recall but it was done as a "courtesy" repair for many, many cars when they were newer. A dealer *might* still fix it for free, but I doubt it. The kit takes about 2 minutes to install - all the changes are right on top of the intake snorkel.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder