Ultimate Subaru Message Board

91 Subaru won't even start...

Hey, I'm new to the forum and pretty damn excited that I found it... Lots of helpful stuff on here.

Anyway, I have an old 1991 Subaru Legacy fwd that is near ancient. Has 260,000+ miles on it as of a few weeks ago. I have never had one problem with it until now. So, here's the issue, and I'm hoping someone can give me some words of advice:

It had a dead battery, so I went to buy a new one. However, after I put in the new one and tried to start the car, it won't turn over. Won't click. The lights don't even turn on, nor do the lights on the dash. My best guess is that it is some sort of fuse, but I know nothing about cars except how to change the oil, and replace the alternator. I'm hoping it's not something that's going to cost an arm and a leg to fix.

It would be awesome if I could get some input on what might be the problem, and possibly how to fix it. Thanks in advance!

I would suggest you check the obvious. Are you sure the new battery is charged? They usually are, but no guarantees. I have bought more then one battery that was new, and really low on water that created starting problems, so check the water level.

I would put a charger on the battery to see if it needs charging, or first try jump starting the car. With battery cables connected for a jump start, see if your car's lights will come on before turning the key. If your new battery is totally dead, a jump start may take 5-10 minutes before enough juice is built up in your battery to start your car.

I don't know much about cars, but I know enough to know that I should check to make sure the battery is charged... Which I did. And it definitely is. But thanks for the suggestions, anyway. Also, I tried to jump it, and it won't even jump, which leads me to believe its something to do with the fuses.

I called Schucks today, and they seem to think its the fusible link, or the main relay so I'll try that.

Thanks for all the input!