Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea82 clutch kit?

Please help me with a little input on clutch kits? I have heard the parts retailers, auto zone, advance, etc. have some problems with the springs? I see borg warner kits on ebay from 50.00 to 80.00 are they worth there weight? Is the 4wd clutch different from the fwd only clutch? About to buy a kit and wanting to get the best for my monies! Kit going in my 92 loyale wagon push button 4wd 203,plus miles. Thanks

Exedy or the dealer. Find the Exedy part number and put it into Amazon - they have the best prices and free shipping.

I have had so many problems with other brands - I will not consider anything but those.

Yes - 4WD is a 225mm clutch. 2WD is a 200mm clutch. They are completely different.

Exedy is the OEM for Subaru BTW.

GD

No problem. Remember to order new throw-out bearing clips from the dealer (couple bucks), and grease the transmission quill as well as remove the fork from the ball-stud and clean both it and the fork socket and apply grease to the socket and the two points of contact with the T/O.

Grease the input shaft splines lightly.

Leave the pressure plate loose. Only tight enough to provide just enough friction that you can move the disc around with your finger. Then tighten the pressure plate bolts through the starter hole.

If you don't already know - it's much easier to pull the engine for a clutch job on a Subaru. MUCH easier.

GD

Thanks for additional info! I do understand its much easier to pull the motor and is what I am planning on doing! I also suspect at over 200,000 miles the rear main seal is probably leaking as my small drip has turned into a major gulf coast size oil spill, seeming to be coming more from the rear of the motor than the front? Guess I will see when it gets pulled apart.

• 9 months later...
No problem. Remember to order new throw-out bearing clips from the dealer (couple bucks), and grease the transmission quill as well as remove the fork from the ball-stud and clean both it and the fork socket and apply grease to the socket and the two points of contact with the T/O.

Grease the input shaft splines lightly.

Leave the pressure plate loose. Only tight enough to provide just enough friction that you can move the disc around with your finger. Then tighten the pressure plate bolts through the starter hole.

If you don't already know - it's much easier to pull the engine for a clutch job on a Subaru. MUCH easier.

GD

I know I'm bumping an old thread, but why do you suggest to tighten the pressure plate bolts through the starter hole?

I've never heard anything about this before.

Standard practice on EA's - they sometimes have a tendancy to not want to line up right with respect to the pilot bearing and the input shaft. Leaving the PP bolts loose till you have the engine and transmission mated together eliminates this problem.

GD

Interesting, a wonderful tidbit of information to save me frustration!

Thank you very much.

For a 4wd EA82, one of the spark plugs off the motor will work as a very nice alignment tool, I've had better luck with them than with the plastic crappy ones that come in the kits sometimes. I am pretty sure this will not work for the 2wd models as I understand they have a smaller shaft diameter. (Or is it only outer diameter?).

• 2 years later...

I'm bumping this old thread because it will be useful to me when I tackle my first clutch job on my '91 Loyale 4WD. I'd like to get the Exedy kit but when I use their website I only get the 200mm kit for the 2WD vehicle. Anyone know what the Exedy part number is for the correct kit for the 4WD vehicle? Or how to use their website to find it? Thanks ~

- Brooks