Ultimate Subaru Message Board

VIN on engine block?

Hi All,

I am looking for a used outback and trying to avoid the years prone to the Head Gasket failure.

However, I did find a 2000 Outback Limited for sale. The car has 185k miles on it, but the engine has been replaced.

Unfortunately, the seller is not the original owner, and does not know exactly when the engine was replaced, or what model year engine it was replaced with.

My thought process is that if the engine was replaced with one from 2001 or later, it will have the redesigned head gaskets.

My understanding is that there should be a VIN on the engine block...where would this be found and if found, can I use it to date the engine?

All input always greatly appreciatted!

Jared

another option would be to familiarize yourself with what the newest headgaskets look like externally and see if it has them or any sign of them being previously replaced. if you know where the vehicle was serviced sometimes they will tell you. I've had two Subaru dealers give me a service history of a vehicle over the phone, they've been very helpful - one was the one in Annapolis, MD, the other in PA - both were dealers I've never been too and have no relationship with. then plan on a coolant flush with subaru's coolant conditioner added (which is required per Subaru).

not sure if you mean MY or not but subaru's headgasket warranty was available on 2000-2002 models and there are issues beyond those years as well so the "issue" as you talk about it existed in more than just 2000 models. still helpful to look into it like you're doing, but i'd seek more than that too.

i've pulled more engines than i remember can i can't ever recall seeing the VIN on them, but i wouldn't necessarily be looking or paying attention either. if i were home i've got a few i could look at but i'm not.

Edited by grossgary

If you are looking at 2000 and up stuff - don't worry about it. The headgasket "issue" is not that big of a deal (and wasn't really fixed till like '04 or '05 anyway). Throw in some coolant "conditioner" from the dealer and drive on. The leaks are external and really aren't much of a problem.

The big, nasty HG problems were on the '96 to '99 engines.

GD