Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 1997 Subaru Outback Legacy and an Automatic, and because of a propeller shaft issue and a front axle that is in need of replacement I parked it 6 months ago and would start it every week.

Then the last month and a half when it got really cold I didn't.

The battery died and so I replaced it, and it didn't start didn't even cough and try to start. Everything else electric worked as it should

But I couldn't even push the button in on the handle to put it into neutral. That is a worry of mine as well.

So its a long shot but any clue why I wouldn't be able to push the button in to put it into neutral?

And any suggestions on what next if the battery didn't help it start?

I would like to get it running so I can sell it as the engine is strong and was fine before I parked it.

Thanks

There is an interlock between the shifter and the brake pedal - unless the car has power AND you step on the brake with the key in the ignition the button will not depress to unlock the shifter.

You can pop out the surround for the shifter and insert a phillips screwdriver into the hole provided in the top left corner of the mechanism - this is specifically for unlocking the shifter in case of a need to tow the car, etc. You will then be able to shift it into neutral.

As for why it doesn't start - fuel, air, spark. Which one don't you have?

GD

She aid that he replaced the battery, I would still pop the cover and go through it with a multimeter, as far as the not starting, I would start with a bottle of heat, after that it is going to be an electrical issue, with the shifter not working id check all of your fuses and relays.