Ultimate Subaru Message Board

For awhile when it was cold out my ABS light would sometime come on but upon the next starting of the car or turning the car off while driving then back on (5 MT) the ABS light would go off..

For this past Sunday the light is on solid now and start cycles have no effect..

NOW for the 1995 Legacy how do I pull the code for the ABS? Because I looked at the later model years about some plug under the dash with two tapped wires and my car does not have that at all.. I'd like to find out what this code is

I've never seen a car that would bring up the ABS light on the dash but would clear it's self if you just restart the car..

Loose wire maybe?

mine would come on occasionally last winter when we had deep snow and would reset it self when the snow melted off the wheels, hubs, whatever. it actually reset itself before i could even check it out, but it happened several times during deep snow driving so i just figured that's what it was.

I was driving in about 7 inches of snow in a parking lot but when I noticed the light was on when I went to run out I was parked on ice but it was not smooth ice but like bumpy.

I can't really check because we are getting snow yet again I just hate yellow warning lights on my dash. But do I really have the plugs under my dash to check?

maybe one of you can tell me what code I have? it seems like I have 3 code which is all it can store.. but I'm confused if it's 51, 23, 21, 42 or 22 lol

So I did a video one of the flashes looked like a 42 but maybe another set of eyes would help.

Abnormal Valve Relay. Seems like it's in the ABS block/unit up front?

found a few hits on google with Subaru ABS 51 code, here's one on NASIOC that a guy says he posted the testing procedure for that code, but I didn't wait for the picture to load because I'm on dial up right now:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?p=33169851

Its a relay id have to check the price
i'm sure you heard of car-parts.com right? i've never heard of one failing, but surely it's possible. has the fluid ever been flushed?

DIAL UP?! Where are you?
in the mountains - no cable, no internet, no cell service, address is not locatable via GPS or google, etc. one road on my daily drive doesn't get plowed and retains snow for long periods of time. power goes out regularly (for 9 days once last year), be 2 or 3 days before any plowing in a big storm. welcome to rural WV, ready to move? :headbang: Edited by grossgary

no flush yet that should of been done in the fall but I kept getting people having me to look at what's wrong with their cars and I did not have time enough for my own..

I know I've had the motor relay stuck before which causes the pump to run while the car is off.. I never got the replacement relay for that.. I think the low temps have some kind of effect.